vBulletin 4 discussion thread.

Oh no! I didn't mean that. :eek:

I mean that if he gets the license and 95% of it came from members then he would have to do things their way too not just his, otherwise there will be an uproar.

Exactly the reason David said he hasn't wanted to ask for donations before, people who donate will demand. At the end of the day it is Davids forum. I can see where this is going to go, I am deadset against asking for donations.

To make it clear... ANY and ALL donations are with NO strings attached. All the donations are for is to make the upgrade financially possible, NOT to grant you favors, a louder voice, special treatment, etc. If your donating with the mentality of having a say in what gets done, changed, etc, Your going to be in for a rude surprise. I hate to say it, but if said donating members make a scene out of that, you will likely be banned, despite having donated...So think about it.

I agree. I hate when sites update VB and change everything possible around..I do the same as you...leave. It's no different to a piece of software that gets a massive overhaul in a new version and even though it may be the same program that does the same things it drives me away with a stupid interface. It's a fine line between a good upgrade and a bad upgrade IMO.
Do you think that David will move things around in a big way?
it's not that David will move things about, it's more that the VB update will...

and it'd be a whole heap of hurt and hassle to try to get a style put together that essentially puts everything back and makes it look like it does now on a new version...

That said, a new version will contain important security updates, couple that with the fact that the old version will possibly limit the mySQL version that can be used, and possibly the PHP version that can be used, -which in turn could limit the web server version and possibly the OS... and you're looking at a mighty fine reason to upgrade.

David would have to confirm whether the current version of VB was limiting the mySQL version or the PHP version, (and indeed if that php version was limiting the web server software and server software beyond that).

at the end of the day, I like things how they are, I don't want to see David change it all about just for the sake of upgrading...

but I'd really rather that David changed things about that some random hacker that's found an exploit in an outdated version of whatever combination of software is having to be run.

because Davids changes will be controlled and tested, a random hackers won't be.

I don't think so personally, reason being is it's because members are donating the money, so really he has to listen.

and that's exactly why David has said that he doesn't want a donate button.

To make it clear... ANY and ALL donations are with NO strings attached. All the donations are for is to make the upgrade financially possible, NOT to grant you favors, a louder voice, special treatment, etc. If your donating with the mentality of having a say in what gets done, changed, etc, Your going to be in for a rude surprise. I hate to say it, but if said donating members make a scene out of that, you will likely be banned, despite having donated...So think about it.

I agree on this avenue, if you donate, you do so at your own risk. Risk meaning, you are spending money into a site that doesn't belong to you. When you donate to CCleaner do you get a say in what the program features are? No. Do you get to choose the color scheme of the program? No.

I plan on donating to help the site but don't expect anything in return except a newer site, and only because that's what the purpose of the donation is.

Although I don't necessarily agree, I can see what gmcrepair is getting at.

Again though, this is David's site. I believe that with the latest events and threads going around, he may be more apt to listen to feedback, but by no means is he obligated to.

You donate to help the forum develop. You're contributing to improve things, not to look like a ''hero'' or whatever kind of power you'd think.

Back
Top Bottom