Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Site Admin, News and Feedback
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,557
Smile Suggestions

Hi all. I would like if anyone has suggestions and improvements that can be made, I have been thinking about that when new users get the PM saying welcome, it should also have something like checkout our how to guides and the post your rig here thread..

Please post your suggestions..
__________________

__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: Suggestions

How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.
__________________

__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister View Post
How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.
I was thinking about the specs and related matter myself, but I don't think the sig is the best way to go about it since, for one thing, a sig is meant to be used as a personal expression.

I think a better way is to explicitly ask for spec info by the hardware section along with a specific example as to what we're looking for and pin that to the hardware section.
__________________
Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
In Runtime
 
OS-Wiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 334
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Explorer View Post
I was thinking about the specs and related matter myself, but I don't think the sig is the best way to go about it since, for one thing, a sig is meant to be used as a personal expression.

I think a better way is to explicitly ask for spec info by the hardware section along with a specific example as to what we're looking for and pin that to the hardware section.
Problem with this recommendation is that nearly every other Computer Forum uses the Sig for system specs. People are just use to seeing them there.
__________________
i7-3930K - Corsair H100 push/pull fans - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme - 4 x 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 - 2 x EVGA GTX680s in SLI - OS, 256GB Samsung 830 SSD - Games, 256GB Crucial M4 SSD - Antec TPC 1200W - Dell 27" IPS 2560x1440 - APC XS1500 UPS - Win7 Ultimate x64
OS-Wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS-Wiz View Post
Problem with this recommendation is that nearly every other Computer Forum uses the Sig for system specs. People are just use to seeing them there.
That may be. It would further help to have pinups in the hardware section and other forums for reinforcement.
__________________
Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Suggestions

The sig is where you'll find most computer forums would like for you to have them. In some cases with members having multiple systems they run out of room in the sig space. More space in the sig makes the message block too big but that's up to the forum owner.
However what you're missing is the fact that the vast majority of people comming to any computer forum are here one second and gone the next. They come in in a blind panic looking for an answer and then "poof". They're not going to go to the trouble of filling out some form or putting their system info in their sig.
If you make that mandatory or set the registration page up where you have to put something in, they're going to go somewhere else.
And when we set the posting rule up that in order for us to give you an answer that works, your system specs had to be part of the opening post, that too got ignored.
We've tried that before and it just didn't work out.
__________________
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Daemon Poster
 
Hameister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 887
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
The sig is where you'll find most computer forums would like for you to have them. In some cases with members having multiple systems they run out of room in the sig space. More space in the sig makes the message block too big but that's up to the forum owner.
However what you're missing is the fact that the vast majority of people comming to any computer forum are here one second and gone the next. They come in in a blind panic looking for an answer and then "poof". They're not going to go to the trouble of filling out some form or putting their system info in their sig.
If you make that mandatory or set the registration page up where you have to put something in, they're going to go somewhere else.
And when we set the posting rule up that in order for us to give you an answer that works, your system specs had to be part of the opening post, that too got ignored.
We've tried that before and it just didn't work out.
This ^^^ ...all makes sense to me.

Frankly, I have to agree with OS-Wiz, I belong to many forum sites, and have for years, and this is the very first time I have ever heard that the signature area was meant for "personal expression", and not system specs....what????

Anyway, as seti says, it's most likely that anything that is effective, will probably drive people away.

I know I sure get tired of seeing...."Please help!!! My computer doesn't work anymore, what's wrong?"
__________________
HAF 932 Advanced / Corsair AX1200 / Asus Rampage IV Extreme / i7-3930K / H100 Cooling 4x120mm
16GB Corsair DDR3 / GTX 580x2 SLI + GTX 460 PhysX / SSDs Mushkin 240GB, Crucial 256GB, Crucial 512GB
Hameister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameister
How about telling them, when seeking help, or advice, a complete description of their hardware is absolutely essential, or they cannot be helped.

Therefore, a sig. showing their machines hardware, would be most helpful. It will also avoid them having to re-type it all the time.
Just something like that to make it easier when giving help on a problem..
__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Suggestions

I agree with Setishock comment and just to put your computer specs up is only a personal choice for the member....
Nothing wrong asking questions and debate about your computer problems, after all that is what a forum is about.

Now back to your question you could include a few links to your new members to click on to read such as guides or important messages you wish for them to read.
__________________
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #10
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,557
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I agree with Setishock comment and just to put your computer specs up is only a personal choice for the member....
Nothing wrong asking questions and debate about your computer problems, after all that is what a forum is about.

Now back to your question you could include a few links to your new members to click on to read such as guides or important messages you wish for them to read.
Yes I agree as well, Its just a suggestion not a compulsory thing. Yes things like so that know what we allow and what we don't..
__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #11
Baseband Member
 
Junior777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 62
Default Re: Suggestions

I have been on sites for many years, even owned and operated a few.

The Signatures area is for personal expression. I have never and probably never will use it for my system specs, unless they are listed within an image that I am using that shows my personal taste.

Size is a concern as well. Cause if you let people get away with it, they will post a full HD 1900x1280 image in their signatures. Try scrolling paste that on your device if your not at your PC.

Do what has been done at one of the other Social Network sites, add it to the Profile Field. Here is my profile on another site owned by the same people that own this one. I know this can be done easily cause I did it myself.

Then all that needs to be done is for people to fill it out.

Next trying to force it on people is wrong. We dont force it there, so if you force it here they will only go there to us to get the answer, which we will give. Yeah it isnt easy answering hardware related questions when they dont give specs, but it shouldnt be mandatory. There are how many sites out there that do this and wont ask for you to fill out a profile.

Not to mention, they might not be PC knowledgeable. So how would they know such details. Which is why you see I had included Pre-Built information.

But that is just the take of a person who has been working with forums for over a decade.
__________________
Junior777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Suggestions

I've had my fingers in either running or owning forums for about the same time. It's just a matter of preference as far as the placement of pertinant information goes. The rub still remains that most won't bother with it.
We'll just have to continue to pry that info out of people that drop by and have something they want us to help them with.
It's just the nature of the beast.
__________________
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #13
Fully Optimized
 
jmacavali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 4,867
Default Re: Suggestions

The full time members (who are the ones that will have sigs) generally don't ask to many questions or if we do we usually put down the info required.

The people who come for one question (and therefore don't waste time with sigs) are the ones that we end up needing all the info from anyway.

Regardless it will be nice to see what some of the members are running.
__________________
****************************************
Don't take life too seriously -- no one gets out alive. Plus, who wants to arrive to the hereafter in pristine condition wearing a suit and tie?
I want to slide in sideways, worn out, used up, hair a mess, clothes tattered, & screaming, "Whooo! What a ride!"
****************************************
jmacavali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #14
Solid State Member
 
SmogHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Korea
Posts: 8
Default Re: Suggestions

It would be an extremely great idea if someone here that has a wee bit of power given to them to moderate these forum to have the courtesy to PM the person whos posts you delete and tell them you deleted it and WHY.

If you're a moderator and have no idea what you're doing find another job you're more suited to.

If you as a moderator or Admin get a PM from a member please have the decency to responed.

I've been an Admin and Super Mod on a few sites and have never ignored an inquiry by a member.
__________________
SmogHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:39 AM   #15
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,557
Default

Smoghog when we receive PM'S from members we may need to discuss it with other members of the site team, when I receive PM's from members regarding posts I will discuss it with the site team before replying straight away..
__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #16
Site Team
 
T-MAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,061
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmogHog View Post
It would be an extremely great idea if someone here that has a wee bit of power given to them to moderate these forum to have the courtesy to PM the person whos posts you delete and tell them you deleted it and WHY.

If you're a moderator and have no idea what you're doing find another job you're more suited to.

If you as a moderator or Admin get a PM from a member please have the decency to responed.

I've been an Admin and Super Mod on a few sites and have never ignored an inquiry by a member.
Interesting from someone with 8 posts who has just joined up. Tell me how you know what us mods do and dont do? I assume you have read the rules? if you have a problem please PM a mod and we will be happy to help you. You have had 3 threads/posts deleted that I can see which have been straight spam. I suggest you read the rules.
__________________
1st Puter - Intel Pent D 3.4GHz, 2 GIG Ram, GeForce 9800GT, Windows 7 Home.
2nd Puter - AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.69GHz, 2 GIG Ram, GeForce 7600GT, XP Home.
Lappy - Intel Dual Core 1.73GHz, 2 GIG Ram, Vista Home Premium.
Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.
T-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #17
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmogHog View Post
It would be an extremely great idea if someone here that has a wee bit of power given to them to moderate these forum to have the courtesy to PM the person whos posts you delete and tell them you deleted it and WHY.

If you're a moderator and have no idea what you're doing find another job you're more suited to.

If you as a moderator or Admin get a PM from a member please have the decency to responed.

I've been an Admin and Super Mod on a few sites and have never ignored an inquiry by a member.
I can say for certainty the mods here do answer queries as I have had some dealings with them but I do not agree with your statement saying mods should pm you or answer you if you posted banned articles such as spam or abusive comments.
If you have been a moderator or Administrator on other Forums then you should know better than making this outrageous slur on the mods here.

PS: I have been a Moderator and know it can be a difficult job to please all the members of a forum.
__________________
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 AM   #18
Golden Master
 
BK_123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,557
Default Re: Suggestions

Here are the rules, I think you should read them http://www.computerforums.org/forums...ork&page=rules
__________________

__________________
BK_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
×