Just out of curiosity…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden Master
Why was my account disabled? I never violated any forum policies. I gave a link to a site which was relevant to the user's request which follows with rule [3], and the link in my signature, rule [5].

http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=4

Rule 3 said:
If someone has asked for information that you have on a page on your site then you may direct them to that. (It must be relevant to the request.)

Rule 5 said:
Urls maybe used in signatures (But it will appear as text and not a hyperlink). A maximum of three URLs.

It's just out of curiosity. Not trying to stir things up.

It happened earlier in the week, he was banned for a couple of days...

the reason why you were banned was for helping somebody to rip content from youtube.

The content on you tube is the copyright of the person who put it there. whether that is a person recording their own home movies,
conversations in french
or whether someone has illegall ripped and illegally uploaded content to a video sharing site. (not everything that appears on TV is actually the copyright of the TV station. - so uploading clips of TV shows is actually illegal as well.

we are reasonably strict on breaking the law and providing links to articles on how to break the law simply because this site has lost association with advertising networks in the past for helping people with hacking/breaking copyright etc... (as we all know from previous posts, this site has a lot of overhead costs associated with the hosting and can't afford to loose it's only source of revenue besides davids own pockets).

whilst I know that you were only trying to help. and you did provide the help with good intentions, it was still illegal to rip content from you tube.

that is also why your signature has been changed since you linked to a post on a forum about how to rip videos from you tube in your signature...

The thing is, we don't pay a single penny for it and 99% are just stuff they do and put on the net. I don't see why I should waste my bandwith. It's better to download them and put them in directories than risking of increasing payload bill.

desn't change the leagalities of it though does it...

it more convienient for me to use Kazza to download CD's than waste my legs/petrol/money getting into town and buying a CD..

doesn't make it right thoguh does it?

before anyone says anything...
yes, it is exactly the same it's still ripping off copyrighted material...

and whilst I don't think that anyone has a problem with people saving their home movies from youtube. the people who are puttting music videos and uploading TV shows etc probably do mind you ripping content from the site. as you are effectivly stealing their product.

Thanks root. But another question, why are the links still up if you don't want someone to steal copyrighted material?

Bädgêr™ said:
Thanks root. But another question, why are the links still up if you don't want someone to steal copyrighted material?
(umm, because I'm slacking off a bit?)

Good point,

I removed them...

(possibly raises more questions though).

well... follow this very simple rule,

"If you don't like it, then don't post in it"

there is nothing dumb with Badger wanting to know why he was given a ban for a few days...
I'm sure that if you were banned without warning then you might have made a simillar thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom