Custom Avatars Y/N?

CoMpUtaFrEek

Fully Optimized
I'm sure this has been posted a million billion trillion times but.. I'm going to post it anyway.

I recon custom avatars would give each user a certain, individuality. If theres hosting issues then thats understandable but then the image files could be kept to a limit of KB.

What do you guys think?

We have tried it in the past and even with a few KB limit, we got used as a free image host! people would sign up just to upload the avatar and then display some thousands of times on their website we caused problems for us so we have had to disable it unfortunately.

what about allowing remote linking of custom avatoars so people would have tohost their own, the people woul be allowed their own avatars and you wouldn't have people only signing up as a picture host.

root said:
what about allowing remote linking of custom avatoars so people would have tohost their own, the people woul be allowed their own avatars and you wouldn't have people only signing up as a picture host.

Yeh I was going to suggest that. Sounds like a good idea.. Or make it so users can only use custom avatars/vcode in sigs after 50/100 posts? But then you'd have to keep an eye on spam. Could always delete accounts that become older than X amount of time.. Lol.

I recon Root's idea sounds good, thoughts on that David?

Now I don't know how vBulletin 2 works - but at least on 3 you can automatically promote users to a different user group at attaining a certain level of posting.

Could you not set up a seperate user group which is a complete copy of the registered users usergroup; but with Custom Avatars. Then when you reach a certain posting level - I don't know, 20, 50, 100? it will automatically promote you in a sense to the copied usergroup and then you can upload your avatar.

Nobody with more than 20, and certainly no more than 50 Posts is going to even think of using you as an image host - especially not at 65 by 65. No new users looking for a image host would even know about it; so it wouldn't cross their minds?

Just a suggestion though.

NOTE: I do not believe we should have vb code sigs and especially not image sigs.

I think custom avatars after a certain nuber of posts would be a great idea. But not sigs with images. I think that is distracting and annoying.:(

I meant vcode in sigs to link to pages, not pictures lol.

Yeh I recon at 40 posts? Maybe 50 to be safe.. Thoughts David?

Hmm. I'm still not keen on the idea. I think it would make it look rather messy with all the colors everywhere and smilies etc with the vB code. I just don't know what it would look like.

Well scrap the vbcode in sigs idea lol.

How about a week trial or something? Then we'd really know.

no it will just make it look un tidy

also im happy with the avatars as they r i like mine had it since i joined

Back
Top Bottom