Win server 2008 how to setup and add more disks nd make rid or mirror

dollargirl

Solid State Member
Heya i need some suggestions because ive never done that before. Our home-office does have a simple pc which has only one disk and runs the forefront tmg through windows server 2008. But i am afraid that the disk can crash and when the tmg dies the whole internet will be gone and thats terrible. A friend of mine whos not here anymore made that for us and i know that its possible to add more disks so that when one disk dies the otherone runs imediately and the server will stay on. Can anyone who did that suggest me whats the best thing to do it? How can we configure or add disks and how to set it up. That would help us so much. thanks alot

Can you post a screenshot of the disk management so we know what kind of raid array you have. BTW disk management is normally where you would add disks to a software array. You can access it by typing disk management into the search box when you hit the start button, and hitting enter.

It depends on the configuration of the drive at the hardware level. Depending on the controller on the motherboard, you could set up a RAD 1 which is a mirror or even a RAID 5 which is striped parity. of course, these options would necessitate reinstalling the OS and re-configuring the server.

You might be able to add a second physical disk and create a mirrored volume. I'm not 100% because I always create RAID at the hardware level.

unfortunately this is a simple pc that is running as server and i cannot add raids into it but with the windows mirror does it wprk well and how can i configure it

is it definitly windows 2008 or windows 2008 R2?

I've found a couple of threads on Tomshardware guide.

one says this can be done:
How to setup Raid 1 on existing System 7 - config-customize - windows-7

a couple of months later everyone says it can't be done...
How to setup Raid 1 on existing System 7 - config-customize - windows-7

(guess nobody really reads threads there?!)

anyway so it definitely CAN be done on windows 7 (NT6.1.7601) that's the same NT version as windows server 2008 R2, so I imaging the likelyhood is good.

I'd recommend the same as that thread said though really.

grab a copy of Norton Ghost, or Acronis, and make a backup.

then try to convert your simple drive to a dynamic drive, then tell it to make it RAID1.

Then let us know the results.

If it messes up at any point, then just restore your backup and forget the whole thing!

Lastly, you could also buy an old PCI, or PCI-X RAID card, and a couple of SCSI drives and have a hardware RAID setup, (though again you would need to rebuild the box for that).

Back
Top Bottom