Server rebooting but no virus found

jeffpoulsen

Baseband Member
I have scanned for the sasser worm with 2 tools and found no virus. But recently I have had a problem with the server becoming slow and rebooting. Upon logon I receive the message that there were errors. They seem to change but almost always there is one " C\:temp\WER2.tmp.dir00\lsass.exe.mdmp " Another " C:\temp\WER1.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml " etc. Also errors with "kerberos.dll" , "kernel32.dll" and "appcompat.txt". I seems like a virus to me but I am unable to find one. I have scanned for viruses and spyware but have found nothing. I am unable to logon at this time to get more detailed logs of processes as the system is rebooting. I will update these later. But does anyone have any idea of what's going on here? Thanks, jeff

Well, since the errors are in the temp folder, it's obvious that your sever is getting too hot! Just kidding... But being in this industry for 7 years now, I've see computers reboot just as you mention because of a simple fan problem inside the case. They get to hot and just shutdown or reboot.

J

JitsuGuy ,
Thanks for your reply. I have solved the problem. It was more than one thing. I first found the HD was nearly full. I expanded the partition and then increased my page files. I put 50 megs the C: drive something like 4 gigs on the D: drive. Also there was a problem with the windows update. I finally was able go update the server. Also I found that someone or something had changed some DNS server settings to point to the wrong address for forwarding etc. These all together fixed the problem. But you are right that the problems are usually the simple things. Like the memory, overheating, etc. Thanks again, jeff

Back
Top Bottom