Server help

Skybucks100

Solid State Member
Hi,
So I have a Dell Poweredge 600SC and it's from 2006, I need to install CentOS on it but you have to put the ISO on a DVD and my server is kinda old and it only accepts CDs so I bought a external DVD drive and it's for USB 2.0 but my server is USB 1.0 and I have a USB hub for USB 2.0 and it works just fine. The external DVD drive runs just fine but I have it set to OS install but it doesn't except the external DVD drive and it would only take the disk if it was in the default one which is only for CDs. So i'm basically stuck... Any help? Besides buying a brand new server...

Thanks!

Can you swap the CD drive from the Poweredge server with the DVD drive inside the external unit? Basically upgrading the Poweredge with a DVD drive.

Can you swap the CD drive from the Poweredge server with the DVD drive inside the external unit? Basically upgrading the Poweredge with a DVD drive.
My external DVD drive is a "portable" one so it wouldn't work right...

Thanks!

I've seen some external drives that were simply a normal 5.25" drive in a case, but I guess the one you have is one of those slim line type. Oh well, it was an idea.

Use the netinstall iso instead. It can be burned onto a cd. It will get any needed files that are not on the cd from the internet.

Also, you should check to see if your server supports 64-bit. There was a few models of pentium 4 that did support it.

Hi,
Thanks! I tried that but then found out my server doesn't take CD-RW so i'll have to go get some CD-R to see if that works. Also how would I check to see if my server supports 64-bit? I checked my server setting and it doesn't say in there.

Thanks!

One way to find out is to google the processor model. However that would be under the heatsync. Another way is to run a program from grc.com called secureable.
In linux you can do this.
cat /proc/cpuinfo
cat /proc/meminfo
dmesg
lspci
Or you can use a 64bit installer cd and see if you crash or get a angry message.

One way to find out is to google the processor model. However that would be under the heatsync. Another way is to run a program from grc.com called secureable.
In linux you can do this.
Or you can use a 64bit installer cd and see if you crash or get a angry message.
I believe it is 64-bit and I tried both of the x86_64/ and i386/ netinstall and they both don't boot.

Hi,
I think something is wrong with my server also... I tried booting the netinstall of CentOS and a version of Fedora and they both don't boot I also tried a working version of Windows server and it didn't boot. Is there anyway I can restore my server to the original factory settings? Because it goes to some Ubuntu grub like screen which I have never seen before besides now. My server is a Dell Poweredge 600SC

Thanks

Ok if you want to install all three of those. You will need to go with Windows, then centos, then fedora. To restore to factory settings you need the factory restore cd or recovery partition.

Back
Top Bottom