Is my internet fast enough?

Ben McKinlay

Solid State Member
Hi,

I was looking into self-hosting a website. I'm only expecting very small traffic, maybe a couple of visits a day. Since the expected traffic is so small, it doesn't seem worth paying for hosting. I know I can get hosting for free on things like X10 Hosting, but I would prefer a little more freedom.

The planned server would be connected to my router using ethernet. I currently don't have a computer connected to ethernet, but I gather it's faster than Wi-Fi.

On my Asus K53E laptop, when I go to Speedtest.net it shows my download speed as 5.29 mbps and upload as 0.34 mbps. How fast an upload speed will I need? Are my current speeds fast enough?

My ISP allows servers to be hosted, so there isn't a problem there. Static IP's are only £5 one time fee so that's not a problem either.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

0.34 MB upload suggests almost certainly not.

as for how much you need...

anyone visiting your site will recieve download speeds of 0.34MB, so it might be pretty painful to browse depending on what content you have

When setting up a web server keep in mind the content that will be hosted on your network. If you are just hosting a standard web site without pics icons or any media your bandwidth will be plenty, but a website looks pretty dull without media, so, you could use your network to serve out the source code and use a hosting company to host your media. When programming your source code just format where the media needs to be and instead of referencing the media on your server just use the address of the hosting company. When a user views your web page they are downloading the media from the hosting company and viewing the source code from your network. If you setup the website like this your bandwidth will be more than sufficient.
TM

Back
Top Bottom