looking for a server - build or buy?

miguels07

Beta member
So we're looking into buying a work server computer just for file management. So the ideal thing we want to do is get it to last for about 5+ years. We will mainly be using this server to access our files and possibly store our video files. And im also thinking we are going to want to backup. Here is what we idealy need/have

4 Hard Drives - 2 500GB and 2 TB
Mac & Pc Compatible
Remotely Accessible (via FTP or whatever)

Network Users - 10-15 computers
Budget - Around 2K

So the big question is should we build one ourselves or should we buy one already built? Me and the computer techs at work have never set up a server before and are the ones looking into this. So any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm not the greatest with computers, but i would say to set up a ordinary pc that you could buy new today, and install linux server on it. You will have to learn the commands because they are VERY different from Windows. But it would have compatibility with pc and macs alike. This would also be as cheap as a new computer and the hard drives. The software is free unless you want to get EZblue, which you can buy the software or buy the server pre-built. The free software would be Ubuntu Sever Edition.

Hi,

Welcome to CF!!

The one thing that I would base this on is whether you were going to put a windows or Linux OS on the server. It makes a big difference as to the specs that you would need.

I would like to know that before I give you any recommendations.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom