Guide on how to setup AD, DHCP and DNS in a virtual Server environment?

greenkomodo

Beta member
I'm looking at trying to get some experience on a Windows server operating system to help me apply for jobs. I want to learn how to create an Active Directory, DHCP and DNS environment in a virtual configuration so I don't have to obviously buy things. I've tried searching the web for guides but I really don't find much.

Does anyone know of any good websites etc?

Do you have all the required software to start doing this?

-by which I mean do you have the virtualisation software needed (Vmware?)
and do you have the copies of windows server to get started?

you're probably going to find that this is a pretty boring endevour...

to start with...
load your windows OS.

type click on start / run then type dcpromo.
follow the wizard steps.

that'll install the services needed to active directory.
it'll prompt you to install a DNS server or point to an existing one. -at this point it's easier to let it install a DNS server.

You can add the DHCP role separately if you need to (manage server add remove roles.)

so now you have an AD server, internal domain, DNS server and DHCP...
what are you going to do?

I don't want to come accross like an ass.
but you're not going to learn a lot by installing these services at home.

for a start you don't learn how to support the services, sure you can familiarise yourself with the layout of the users and computers MMC figure out how to reset passwords...

but not a lot more than that.

from a "I want to get a job in support" sort of perspective you'll learn a tiny bit from having the stuff installed at home, but it'll be nothing like actually doing it for real. and "I played at home" is not really what you can write on a CV.

The other side of it is, installing an active directory at home will teach you nothing of the planning and deployment of active directory within a business...

to find AD setup guides, I'd suggest you google "dcpromo."

but bear in mind that you're going to kill about 2 hours setting it all up, then possibly never look at it again... because it's pretty blank, and boring and difficult to think up realistic situation...

on the other hand, IF you have a bunch of workstations, etc there is no reason that you can't set up a domain for your family to use.
sure it'll be a pain for them to have to type a user name and password to use a computer...

of course then you want to get a load more software, (like SCCM to push out software and maybe WSUS to distribute windows updates...)

but in the end, it's unlikely that you'll walk off the street with your only experience being that you played at home into a domain admin role.
and anything that makes AD interesting or worthwhile -past setting a password to secure a workstation, starts to cost loads of time and money, and the set up is reserved for people working in the 3rd line type support roles...

Back
Top Bottom