Domain Controller

techi3

In Runtime
Is there a way to setup a virtual domain controller with an active directory? At my college they have this setup on VM's for practice. Then run Win2k and Win2k3 server along with multiple different OS's. I want to be able to practice my Net commands at home, specifically the one requiring an AD like "net group". Will I be able to set something up without using VM's and just use my host machine?:confused:

I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but you can run a domain controller as a virtual machine. This semester in virtualization class we always installed domain controllers as a virtual machine and joined another virtual machine to the domain. While the domain never made it outside the host, you should be able to do that as well. We were using Hyper-V, but VMWare or VirtualBox would probably work just as well. To run a virtual machine you need a virtualization program though.

simple answer, yes.

I'd recommend using VMware (worstation or VMware player) as they are easily installed ontop of your existing windows installation, it's not as resource efficient as using a "bare metal" installation of the virtualisation software, but it does provide a nice and easy learning curve for getting into using VM software

Thank You. I downloaded VMWare and installed Win7 since I had it already. Could you recommend a reputable vendor to obtain other OS's for VMWare?

I do know a place where you can get any Microsoft product that is free to download and use, they do ask for a subscription fee though.

The first year you sign up its £139, but after that they let you renew for £99 a year, yeah it's a fair bit but you're getting to play with ALL the Microsoft os's and server software, client software etc. (they do ask you to pay a bit more if you want to use the enterprise software, but for what you're doing you can use the standard software.

(lets face it, that price is 2x copies of windows 8) -which you'll be getting anyway!

Google for Technet subscription.

Back
Top Bottom