Convert a Microsoft Virtual Server to a Physical Server

JaseVaughn

Baseband Member
Here is what I am wanting to do and I can't find it anywhere so far on the Internet.

I want to take a Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 VM and Convert it to a actual Physical Server in the cleanest way possible. If anyone has any information on how to do this or anything that will do it please share your knowledge.

Thanks

Jason

I just got hit with one idea that I could try. Let me know what you guys think

Using Symantec Backup Exec to take an Image Back up of the Virutal Server. Then using the restore anywhere option, try to restore it to a Physical Server and then Pray it works.

What are your thoughts?

Here is what I am wanting to do and I can't find it anywhere so far on the Internet.

I want to take a Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 VM and Convert it to a actual Physical Server in the cleanest way possible. If anyone has any information on how to do this or anything that will do it please share your knowledge.

Thanks

Jason

I just got hit with one idea that I could try. Let me know what you guys think

Using Symantec Backup Exec to take an Image Back up of the Virutal Server. Then using the restore anywhere option, try to restore it to a Physical Server and then Pray it works.

What are your thoughts?

It doesn't really work, this is why theirs no guides. Moving between motherboards typically requires a reinstall. You could try doing a repair install after you image the computer, however this is far from a clean way of doing it.

It's a production Server for one of my companies clients. It has a Citrix Gateway configured and setup on it among other things.

I am the Systems Engineer for the company here. I was just wondering if there was anything that anyone else has stumbled across to do what I am trying to do.

Jason

The only "White Paper" in which goes through an actual process of doing this is from VMware's site which isn't much help to me since I am dealing with Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2. I mean I could "attempt" to convert the VM to a VMware file then try there Guide and see if it works. However I have my doubts.

The only thing that I could think of after doing a search on google, is to email microsoft and see what they have to say. They might have some options for you.

Cheers!

there is a vmware converter.

this lets you image physical machines to VMs

I have a feeling that this can be done the other way as well. however, as DJ-chrs said, it's less than reliable due to driver issues.

Back
Top Bottom