Can't Access Web Server

qah661

Baseband Member
Hello everyone! I have a Dell Desktop computer running Windows Server 2008. I have setup the web service on it, and I am able to access the server within my local network (the computers on my router are able to access it). When I try to access it from any computer outside of my local network, it cannot access the server.

I have already setup port forwarding on my router. I set port 80 to forward to the computer that is running Win Server 2k8. It still doesn't work. Please let me know what the problem is.

P.S. My router is the Linksys WRT54GS ver. 7.2, and I am using IIS 7.0 to host the page.

Make sure that anonymous access is turned ON for your website and integrated Windows authentication turned OFF. Also, how are you trying to access it from the outside? via IP address or host name (www.yoursite.com)?

I have tried both methods (ip and hostname). I have a dyndns account setup pointing to my router's IP address. I have tried to use my cell phone's browser to connect to it since it has the same connectivity as a computer. How do you configure those options you just told me? I am new to IIS (I normaly use apache).

ok, did you use the default website for this?

To determine this and my other questions, go to administrative tools (in control panel) go to Internet Information Services Manager.

At the bottom, there are two buttons, features view and Content View. Select content view.

Once you do this, you'll see sites, application pools, and maybe ftp sites. if you double click sites, it will show you your websites you have configured on this server.

Now, when you created the website, where did you put the files for it? This will determine what our next step is.

If you put them in C:\inetpub\wwroot then it's your default website, if you put it in a sub-folder, thats a different scenario

I found out the problem. Come to find out, for some reason, my ISP blocks port 80. I think it is for security reasons. Thanks for the help anyway guys. I just put the site on another port. :)

Most ISP's block ports 80, 20, and 21. This is not because of security reasons, but is because they don't want you hosting web or ftp servers without paying for the appropriate bandwidth. Usually in order to be able to host these services you will need a business plan with your ISP.

You can use port forwarding on your router though, and then use DynDNS to be able to access it though, and get around using port 80.

Keep in mind doing this will be against your ISP's user agreement, and if you get caught your service could be terminated.

Back
Top Bottom