Building a Home Server

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Okay, this is just in the works right now, but I need some direction.

I want a server so that I can get all of my computers on the same page. I'd like to be able to stream to any computer in the house. There are 3 computers (not counting the server. 2 will eventually be on W7, the other is XP. I hope networking is a lot easier with W7, because in Vista I find it to be a b****. I'm not ENTIRELY sure what a print server is (like, does the printer have to be connected to the server?), but it'd be nice if the two printers in the house could be shared (could print to either from any computer)...

I'd like to be able to download on the server and use it as file storage as well. I'm debating which parts to use (that I have lying around), but I'm pretty sure I know what I'll be using.

What O/S should I go with? I've got a bunch of linux distros lying around I can use, or I can always get something else.

Give some direction, please!

Thanks!

EDIT: Here's a little map. Desktop 1 and Printer 1 are physically wired. Same for desk. 2 and print. 2. But I'd like them to be able to share one another's printer...if that's possible. But, with that said, my main concern is just being able to stream to anywhere in the house.
641pic.jpg

Well my PC Consists of an old Thin Client (Neoware e100,Similar to this one) because they are designed to be left on,they are silent and use minimal electricity!

Mine has a 1Ghz VIA C3 CPU with 1GB Ram and an 80GB 2.5" Laptop hardrive and is running Windows XP Pro,it runs perfect on these specs!

To figure out what specs you are going to want,you have to figure out what software to use. I'd personally use XP Because i know that better than linux! Also there are alot of good tools for XP to do what you want! As for hardware that's pretty much software dependant. I'd go with something 800Mhz Plus,512mb Plus and a decent hardrive.

Sharing printers in XP is Easy,this guide will tell you everything you'll need to know .

That's another good reason to stick with Windows,99% Of printers are XP Compatible. My server is purely file sharing/dowloading so im just using the intergrated video card. If you want to do video sharing you'll want to get an external GPU. Here's a good guide on media streaming on XP.

As for file sharing you could easily set this up using Workgroups and XP's inbuit filesharing but im using FTP so a friend brings a laptop over,i dont have to fiddle with his Workgroup settings to get to my shared files! I Use Filezilla as my FTP Server,here is a decent guide on getting that running.

Hope this helps :D

That first device you linked to...what's it do? I mean, I have a router...do I still need something else?

I'll probably stick with XP then if that's easiest to deal with. Also, why would the server need a video card if I stream to other computers? (wouldn't the computers receiving the stream need the GPU...in which case both do).

FTP sounds like a good idea, but I usually don't have people over often, so I might go the workgroup way. That tends to be what I understand. But that's for that tip. If I ever need to get more "advanced" I'd def. go with FTP.

I'll take another look at this in the morning and decide what's going on.

Also, the specs on the rig aren't exact, but I'm pretty sure it's P4...not sure on speed. I've got 2GB of DDR for it, so RAM is no problem. I'll probably need to purchase a PCI -> SATA card because I'm pretty sure there aren't SATA ports on the MB.

Thanks btw. :D

Well i have never really build a media server but your right! Did a quick test and streamed a video too my desktop from my server,which uses an 8mb S3 Card (Which currently is using MS's stock drivers),the server cant play it properly but my main rig can. So Scratch the GPU :)

That First device i linked to is a Thin Client,basically it's a low spec,low power computer used for Large Networks where They link into larger servers and use domains and what not.

I Have modified one by adding extra RAM and a larger hardrive into my server. I Highly recomend one because they are Small,Completely Silent and use next to no electricity.

That's pretty nifty. If I didn't have the spare stuff lying around to build a standard server, that's a pretty neat alternative. But, why spend money if you don't have to. I'm a tight wad. Haha.

Excactly my point of view! Though my mum was complaining of the noise (Seriously 1 120mm fan isnt loud LOL) so to comply this was my next option,turns out it works out quite well.

Oh. Just a lil off topic, but you should correct your sig. You have Project 355...instead of 365. :)

I have a server - I use it as a Domain Controller, Storage Server and a "Streaming Server" for my Xbox 360, and as an iTunes Music Server.

Back
Top Bottom