Is it better to put all your webservers into one computer

MidwestComputer

In Runtime
Hi Guys
I just want to know is it better to put all your webservers into on computer like Webserver, DNS, Mail Server, FTP Server or put it on a other computer?

It all depends on how much space you need for each of them. Are you running a webserver for a large number of people, or just yourself. Same with the mail server and FTP. If you are running those three for like a your company or a lot of people then yes you might want to have a box for each of them. But if you are just running them for yourself or say ten or so people then you could get away with having a large hard drive and all the severs in one box.

I honestly don't know about the dns server as i haven't had to set one up.
Hope this helps. :)

Cheers!

well its just for my own business and not anybody else can I put a 500 gb hard drive would that be enough for all that?

Hi Guys
I just want to know is it better to put all your webservers into on computer like Webserver, DNS, Mail Server, FTP Server or put it on a other computer?

Usually it's best to separate servers up. Webserver and FTP server likely would be ran on the same box, but DNS and Mail servers should ideally have their own box. Also, segment these servers from any local only servers like an active directory server, as well as segment them from client machines.

Of coarse this can cost more money, by running more computers. Alot of small places would just run everything on one box. Also another idea is to run stuff in a virtual environment.

Chris is right - running multiple webserver apps on a single server can cause problems (trust me - I know from experience what one crappy server trying to do everything is like >_<)

I personally run my own home server splitting services between a PC and an Apple XServe and its much faster than it was when I ran everything on just the PC (P-4, 256 MB RAM). If you can afford it, its a better bet, but it also depends on what you need it for and what kind of server your buying.

If you need the server for more high-end needs (website hosting, for example) then a more expensive server (or multiple servers for intense use) would do the trick. For something like a personal FTP server, you could go for a more low end machine (like my PC, the XServe is for webhosting).

Chris is right - running multiple webserver apps on a single server can cause problems (trust me - I know from experience what one crappy server trying to do everything is like >_<)

I personally run my own home server splitting services between a PC and an Apple XServe and its much faster than it was when I ran everything on just the PC (P-4, 256 MB RAM). If you can afford it, its a better bet, but it also depends on what you need it for and what kind of server your buying.

If you need the server for more high-end needs (website hosting, for example) then a more expensive server (or multiple servers for intense use) would do the trick. For something like a personal FTP server, you could go for a more low end machine (like my PC, the XServe is for webhosting).

On a completely unrelated matter, you do know who I am right? I used to go to Westmount too.

Running a VM environment is turning into a real $ saver in the industry. Get one hunky machine, and turn it into 4-5 virtual machines. This way each of your servres can have their own OS dedicated to it, with the settings you need, and save a hell of alot of $.

Back
Top Bottom