Backup Dedicated Server and install the image in VMware

i7Gabs

Beta member
Hi,

I am trying to download the full image o full backup of a massive dedicated server, in some format than can easily run in my home server into a virtualized environment for an unknown time, for later upload to Amazon EC2, Rackspace or VMware, Xen cloud service.

I already did many test with different escenarios, but when I tried with the production servers I am stuck in some big problems.

Scenario 1
VMware vCenter Converter Standalone, Workstation 8.0.4, Dynamic Firewall rules, VPN, Dedicated Server to Home Server.

In this scenario I setup dynamic Firewall rules and a VPN from my home to the Dedicated Server, to establish a local network connection, file sharing, this is a requirement for using the VMware converter that take a snapshot of the full dedicated server and download to a shared folder in my home server, the problems is about my speed connection, dynamic IP and casual disconnections vs. download without possibility of resume 400GB of very small files, more than 20 millions.

I already try it to download in one long shoot but no luck I lose the connection and without resume only left start everything again.

Scenario 2
Easeus partition master or another partition tool.
I am trying to reduce the content or moving around to get the space to use some tool like easeus partition master so left the Linux Windows OS at the minimum for go in the step one with only 5-10GB cross the VPN so probably I can finish the download without interruptions.

The problem of this are two and critical, first making a lot of path changes for the massive websites in the production servers, second I will lost the control since the process of creating or changing the partitions not have a remote control for fix wherever problem than could happen in between the shutdown and the new start, maybe long time since some of the servers are Raid 1 and I fear some corruption losing everything!!

In this step I have some questions relatives to windows 2003 standard edition

Do you know some tool to create, change the partitions sizes without reboot?

do you know some tool that allow me to connect to the computer without operative system?

Do you know some partition software than can give you a real estimation of the task (thinking strange situations of millions of files on Raid 1)?

Scenario 3
Shadow Copy, Backup tool with special features
1.-Full backup using a real snapshot of everything, with shadow copy should be ok, getting a exactly copy of the permissions too.

2.-choose what I can backup, with the possibility of excluding folders.

3.-not reboot needed, many of the backup tools need run from a Boot CD and since i am 10000 kilometers away form the servers... bad idea

for windows I only found that the backup tool can do the task, the problem is how I can make the full restore in a fresh install of windows 2003?

the MBR and the boot area is not problem.

I have other scenarios, but i am testing it, any advice?

Back
Top Bottom