Hello, I'm pulling my hair out over here trying to transition from an old domain to a new one. My host isn't helping me at all and the info I scrounge up is just leading to more confusion.
Here's my situation:
- I'm on the same server/host but I recently wanted to change to a new domain name; a slightly shorter and easier to type/remember type of domain name.
- My domains are from a different registrar than my actual website host. So this means two admin panels to deal with: more fuel on the fire.
- I want all www.olddomain.com
pages to redirect permanently to www.newdomain.com
- I also want to add code to the same .htacess that will take care of canonical issues i.e.
non-www to go to www. As it stands, this I got straightened out.
- By using the admin panel, the direct old domain name redirects to the new one. It's the other pages on Google that are a problem and I am getting 404 errors for. Ex: www.olddomain.com/info.html
. I want it to go to www.newdomain.com/info.html
Could somebody please help me understand this. What code do I use? WHat do I do with the old domain? Park it? Use the pointer in the admin & the forward option in the domain admin??? Don't bother with anything in the admins?