Is programming the only CS job that will survive?

That's why you are no expert. :)
That's preposterous. Even if you spent time on marketing, that doesn't make you an expert. And it seems you were on advertising, not marketing.

What did you advertise? Why? How? What kind of people was your advertisement directed to?

How would you answer those questions? Did you just advertise whatever you felt like that day? Or maybe, someone else answered those questions for you, and you just made the visual output of all that work? I'm thinking the latter.

I created direct mail variable data marketing campaigns for Toyota and Lexus.
I was given a budget and a target and it was up to me to make the two coincide. I hit my goals and went 13% beyond that. It was considered a great success.
I had to chose the target audience and the advertising layout keeping to predefined elements but had complete control over the campaigns. The rest of the marketing group was basically doing the work I assigned them and I used that data to do my job.
Advertising was the end goal and the rest of the team was set up to support that goal.
So it was a lot more than a fraction, it was the driving force behind all the others in the department.

But this thread isn't for this conversation so I won't spend too much time detailing things here.

1376254830768.gif

I created direct mail variable data marketing campaigns for Toyota and Lexus.
I was given a budget and a target and it was up to me to make the two coincide. I hit my goals and went 13% beyond that. It was considered a great success.
I had to chose the target audience and the advertising layout keeping to predefined elements but had complete control over the campaigns. The rest of the marketing group was basically doing the work I assigned them and I used that data to do my job.
Advertising was the end goal and the rest of the team was set up to support that goal.
So it was a lot more than a fraction, it was the driving force behind all the others in the department.

But this thread isn't for this conversation so I won't spend too much time detailing things here.

1376254830768.gif

It may be the "end game", the "driving force" or whatever you want to call it. Advertising is still a fraction of marketing, and it needs the rest of the fractions to function, it can't exist alone. How big that fraction is it's another story.

I don't know why we are discussing this, you already know what I'm talking about. You are arguing out of pure stubbornness, or pride or God knows what.

Back
Top Bottom