Learning Visual Basic

wmorri

Daemon Poster
My title says it all. I am in the very basic(no pun intended) stages of learning programming and basic programming in specific. I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of any good websites or ebooks for learning VB.

Much thanks ahead of time.

Cheers!

Hey im fairly new to VB too.

I have a post a few below this called 'My First Web Browser' There is some fairly useful info in there so feel free to take a look in there.

Also have a good search around google, something like 'Visual Basics Tutorials' if you haven't already, that should turn up some useful Tutorials.

These are two Great tutorials that i used to help me build a web browser:

http://www.squidoo.com/buildyourownbrowser (nice and easy)

http://www.squidoo.com/webbrowser2 (Slightly more advanced)

They are very easy to follow and they give you a good insight into using VB and the basics etc.

Lastly i would reccomend just playing around with VB for a while, i like VB because it is fairly easy to use and when you start to type in a code it shows you a drop down box containing possible endings to your code. So just mess around with the tools for a while and experiment with getting buttons, check boxes etc to work.

If you try the Web Browser Tutorial and get stuck at all or have a question just let me know and i would be willing to help.

Have fun and Good luck :)

(Just for the record you CAN make other things in VB other then Web Browsers as you probably already know, im just rather obssesed with making them :p but i just thought i would add that to stop confusion.)

I would suggest try to make a simple game. Such as a dodging game. Like a player trying to dodge missiles. VB is really simple. Much like our rational thinking process. Like Ashley said you can mess around with the code a little bit and get it figured out. As for making the game. I would suggest you learn about Loops, Arrays, Control Arrays, and Timers. These are the basics for a game. Googling them up would probably be a good idea. Also, what version of VB do you have. Since, you're a beginner I would NOT recommend VB Express 2008. Even though it is free it is implemented with the .NET Framework. Once you get comfortable with VB, then you can move on to learn more about the .NET Framework.

Yeah. That one supports the .NET Framework and you got a lot of extra stuff. To learn, it would be nice if you had VB 6. Because if you mess around with this one, you will spend A LOT of time learning what everything does. In VB 6. It's all vb, so less commands and you actually learn VB not VB + .NET Framework. I mean, it's not bad to know both. But since you're a beginner I'd recommend trying to learn just vb. and it's gonna be harder when you have all the other .net commands to mess with too.

Back
Top Bottom