how to obtain SQL Server FullText Search service?

BobLewiston

In Runtime
I did a full installation of SQL Server 2008 Express. Looking at Add / Remove Programs, I see the following pertinent programs installed:
SQL Server 2008
SQL Server 2008 Browser
SQL Server 2008 Management Objects
SQL Server 2008 Native Client
SQL Server 2008 Setup Support File (English)
SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Design Tools English
SQL Server Compact 3.5 English
SQL Server Database Publishing Wizard 1.3
SQL Server VSS Writer
SQL Server System CLR Types

And of course I also have installed .Net Framework 3.5 SP1.

I'm now trying to obtain sample SQL databases. To this end, and by the advice of others, I'm trying to install SQL2008.AdventureWorks_All_Databases.x86.msi. But whether I try to install "Sample Files" or "Create AdventureWorks DBs", I keep getting the following error:

PrepInstance() failed for MSSQL$SQLEXPRESS.
The following features are missing: Full Text Search

Running services.msc shows the following local services (but not SQL Server FullText Search):
SQL Active Directory Helper Service
SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS)
SQL Server Agent (SQLEXPRESS)
SQL Server Browser
SQL Server VSS Writer

Does anyone know how I can obtain the FullText Search service for SQL Server 2008 Express?

You may be able to manually attach the database by opening up Sql Server Management Studio and right clicking databases and selecting attach.

You can browse here for adventureworks, which should be somewhere like:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\AdventureWorks_Data.mdf

or, you can do a search for all files for *.mdf* and make note of those locations, then attach them to Sql Server in the same way as before once you know where they are located.

Alternatively, you can download the zip file instead of the msi installer which contains all of the databases, then unzip those to wherever you want them. Followed by a manual attach.

did you install the full text search component.

full text search runs as a service, so the reason that you can't install the database from the MSI is their pre-requisite checks fail cause they can't find the full text search component.

Perhaps go back to the SQL 2008 installer and see if you've missed off full text search. It's possibly a feature you have to drill down the install options box to look for.

I don't know if you can install full text search in the express version...? I'll have to do some digging on that.

Back
Top Bottom