Help With Regedit to tweak "My Recent Documents"

maximus01can

Solid State Member
Howdy,

I need a little help with disabling "my recent documents" in widows explorer. Now I did the quick method of disabling it via start menu and it doesn't appear there, but if you go to windows exploer, file>folder options and "show hidden files" the "My Recent Documents" still shows up in my profile under documents and settings folder and is still populated with the recent items I've viewed etc. I performed the following regedit, but it didn't appear to work for totally disabling "My recent documents" folder from the explorer tree regardless if "show hidden Files" is chosen or not. Is this the correct regedit or is there another I should use?

Open the registry – Open Start > Run > Type ‘regedit'.
Locate the location in the registry to place the data – In the left Tree-view window navigate to “HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionPoliciesExplorer” if any of the keys (directories) are missing create it. If they are all there skip to step 4.
How to create a key – if for example “Policies” is missing, right click “current version” and select new key.
Right-click “Explorer” and select new DWORD value.
Rename the value to “norecentdocshistory”.
Double click the value and type 1 for the value data.
Close the registry and restart your computer.
Check if the modification worked by navigating to Start>My Recent Documents.
To reverse this modification edit the key to a value of ‘0′ or delete the key.

Thanks in advance,
Max

What version of Windows do you have?
WinVista/7 often "restores" the registry value data upon restart.

I know that's how you do it, I've done it like that.

Back
Top Bottom