C++ move to JAVA

a1sporty15

In Runtime
So I'm a senior in high school this year and I've been learning C++ the whole year and I'm going pretty deep. However, next year I'll be studying computer engineering at my university and I recently found out that "Computer Science I" Is a JAVA class. Do you think the switch will be hard? Is JAVA much different than C++? Which language is harder? All comments are appreciated. Thank you :D

Biggest difference is that Java runs in a Virtual environment. C++ can't really do things like Threading because threading is an OS specific task. Syntacticly they are similar, so you should be ok. Most of your "culture" shock will be from not having to work so close to the bit level. In terms of hard or not, it really just depends on how well you understand programming and problem solving. I personally think Java is much more enjoyable to work with. Did you do any templates or smartpointer type things in c++? Thats another nice feature, in Java you don't use pointers because it makes a distinction between value-types and reference-types. Basically all objects of classes are reference types, and are therefore passed by reference by default.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom