Binary

Scyere

Baseband Member
I just recently learned binary, and I'm wondering what I can possibly to with it. I learned it to impress my friends, but now I want to put it to use, anyone know of it's uses?

I learned Binary 4 years ago in school and short of using it to explain some low-level networking stuff have only used it to read my binary clock. I would say an x to binary and vis-versa would be nice but there are so many of those on the internet already it's kind of pointless IMO.

Sometimes when programming it helps when you need to bit-fiddle integers (since most languages represent them in binary.) Most common case for this is when you're reading back information from a serial port (USB or RS232) - it's often encoded in some way that needs a bit of bit fiddling to extract the values you want.

Other than that, it's the *way of thinking* that helps more than the actual act of learning binary. You can traverse a (balanced) binary tree for instance by incrementing a number in binary and then reading it as an encoded form of the path through that tree - say if a digit is 0 you go left, if it's 1 you go right. Make the number of digits as long as the depth of the tree and hey presto, you've got an easy way of calculating all available paths in an encoded form.

Think of it as another tool in your arsenal of thinking outside the box ;)

I only had experience on assembly language before, and it's really not difficult to handle it. It had similar functionality as C language, only thing need to remeber is that there are only limited variables that you can use and some variables are register for system use.

I only had experience on assembly language before, and it's really not difficult to handle it. It had similar functionality as C language, only thing need to remeber is that there are only limited variables that you can use and some variables are register for system use.

Binary != Assembly

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary and those who can't.

Sorry couldn't resist. Beyond that I don't know anything impressive to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom