Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound

Juice1

Fully Optimized
I just got these yesterday to replace my giant 2.1 system, (which is now connected to the living room 46" HDTV). Over all rating is 9/10! :)

Price: 100 USD
Sound quality: 5/5
Cost Value: 4/5

Pros: The speakers can get very loud without any distortion. They are very clear sounding, also very compact. They have a nice weight to them that makes them feel like good quality, and also prevents slipping. The sub is nice and small, and I can see it fitting behind a monitor or under a desk. They are very sleek looking, and the nice mesh thing protects the speaker cones from little kids pokin' at them. The volume control is great, matrix feature sounds good, and the volume knob is very smooth to scroll. It has bass level control on the knob, so that you don't have to reach to the back of the sub to control it, as I had to do with my X-230's.

Cons: The sub just sucks, it's about 4 inches, I could see the thing blowing out if it doesn't have a limiter. If you have the sub sideways so that you can see the back, you can see every color of the rainbow because of the 8 color coded wires. The wires for the rear speakers aren't long enough (about 10 feet), and the speakers have no tilt, excluding the center speaker. I think I will probably find a way to get a bigger subwoofer for it. Gonna be hard, but the speakers are so good that the sub is ruining it. When you blast it, the small sub distorts and you need to manually turn down the bass.

Other thoughts: Comparable with my 2000 dollar bose system in the basement, if it weren't for the crap subwoofer. But for the price, 100 dollars, and the 2000 dollars that the bose cost, it's comparable. The only things I can see that are better about the bose are that there's no wires, the speakers are mounted, and installed, and they can be louder. And the subwoofer is amazing.

Overall it's definitely great, and completely amazing for someone coming from crappy OEM speakers, it will blow those people away.

They're a good value. Sucks to hear they skimped out on the sub, but what can you expect for like $15/speaker?

well the wires are short... cuz there Computer speakers correct?..
and the sub is gonn suck if its meant to be used for a computer, but if u bought a Home Stereo Sub then it would be like really really hard to blow out...

how does it get 9/10 if the sub is that bad?
It gets a 9/10. Even though the sub sucks, I think that it is great for the average person who is not trained to hear the walls shake from 3 flights of steps down, I personally do not like the sub, but it is OK for my computer, and great for pretty much everyone else.
They're a good value. Sucks to hear they skimped out on the sub, but what can you expect for like $15/speaker?
Yeah, this is definitely one of logitech's cheapest subwoofers, I expected better from you logitech :( Could have been 8 inches at least...

well the wires are short... cuz there Computer speakers correct?..
and the sub is gonn suck if its meant to be used for a computer, but if u bought a Home Stereo Sub then it would be like really really hard to blow out...

Yeah, they are too short for me to snake them around the room, but if you miraclessly (jeez I can't figure out how to spell the word miracle-less-ly for my life) have a way to hide them, then they are ok.

The sub is OK but it's so small, I really can't understand how this can be called a sub. The whole time walking home, I was thinking about how heavy it was, and that all the weight probably came from the sub, but the sub is about 4 pounds which dissapoints me.

Yeah, this is definitely one of logitech's cheapest subwoofers, I expected better from you logitech :( Could have been 8 inches at least...

The sub is OK but it's so small, I really can't understand how this can be called a sub. The whole time walking home, I was thinking about how heavy it was, and that all the weight probably came from the sub, but the sub is about 4 pounds which dissapoints me.

Okay, let's get some facts out. You can't judge a subwoofer by it's size. It just doesn't happen.

A subwoofer can still be small and sound great.

Okay, let's get some facts out. You can't judge a subwoofer by it's size. It just doesn't happen.

Actually yes you can, I have a 12 inch, and the 4 inch is obviously nothing compared to the 12 inch. When I play CS:S with the 12 inch, it's like b-b-b-b-aooooomm!! With the 4 inch logitech it's like b-b-b-b-eeeeeep!

Not really, but there is definitely a difference. There is NO WAY for a 4 inch subwoofer to be anything compared to a larger one.

Now if we were talking 12 inch and 15 inch comparison, it depends more on the amplifier, and the sound source.

It doesn't matter. Let's say your have subwoofer rated around 400 watts and your satellites are rated around 10 watts.

Your sub is going to flood out the satellites, and you're not going to get the correct sound out of your speakers. Everything is calibrated to sound right.

Someone out there said a great quote about subwoofers. I'll try to dig it up.

Back
Top Bottom