Logitech Bluetooth MX5000 Keyboard/Mouse Review

I just picked this combo keyboard/mouse combo out yesterday since I was getting sick of using my cheap replacement set. I will say i'm pretty impressed with the quality of this set. Price is roughly $150 maybe a bit cheaper online I just picked mine up a Circuit City.

Okay now lets get down to some of the features of the duo. First lets talk about the keyboard.

I don't know whats not to like about this keyboard besides the fact it takes 4 AA batteries. I wish it included a charging stand as well but that would take the price up a bit. The keyboard features a complete LCD screen which displays your name on startup along with the date/time as well as your room temperature in either Celsius or Fahrenheit which I thought was a neat feature. Also when playing media files you can set it up to cycle through your playlists through the LCD screen as well as see the name of the song and group your currently playing. Also on the LCD if you click the calculator it will display that also right on the LCD.

Theres virtually a hot key for everything with a nice software suite to change any key to do what you want. It features a touch sensitive media console were you just run your hand up and down to increase/decrease volume as well as zoom in and out. Most useful as a media center. Some of the F keys quick launch to most of Microsoft Office apps such as Word, Excel and powerpoint. Quick launchs to you music/picture and documents folders. As well as a mode button to switch your quick launchs on the fly. Basically turning those quick launchs into 4 sets of buttons. Also you can basically use the wireless bluetooth hub as a mini receiver to your pc that lets you do Voice over IP with a headset, Transfer pictures from your cell phone, and listen to music from your bluetooth headphones as well as print via bluetooth.

About the only thing I dislike as mentioned before is its not rechargeable. Also the off button is on the back when it should be on the top. Not really a big deal when you know were its at you can turn it off without lifting the keyboard when you know were its at. And I kind of wish the buttons and LCD lite up at night but thats no biggy. Some of the Media controls do light up but the LCD isn't back lite for night viewing.

Now on to the Mouse. The mouse is loaded with features as well. About the biggest thing I like it comes with its own stand with a charger. So when you done for the day just put your mouse back on the dongle and let it charge up. There is a light on the side of the mouse as your using it with 3 bars letting you know how much juice you actually have. The mouse is weighted nicely and has a good sturdy feel. As with the keyboard all the buttons are completely adjustable allowing for great customizing. You have your standard left/right click with center scroll wheel which also serves as a 3rd center button. Also the scroll wheel has tilt left/right so if your viewing a wide document you can scroll from side to side. Above and below the scroll wheel are 2 more buttons as a quick scroll option as is or whatever you program it to do. Much easier to use them when viewing something that doesn't require having paging. Just a simple click down and slow scroll. If its longer simply click the wheel and scroll at will or use the scroll wheel and do it manually. Next up you have your thumb buttons. It features a back/forward by default which makes surfing a breeze. Need to page back in a document search or over the web just click the button rather then looking for your go back or go forward. And quite possibly the best feature for fellow Vista users is the center button which is a document cycle. Or in Vista's case as document flip as a shortcut to Windows Aero 3d Flip. A very nice feature. The DPI isn't quite as high as you may want but I find the 800-dpi to work very nicely.

As far as dislikes for the mouse I can't really think of any. Maybe a side scroll wheel would have been nice but with all the other buttons I don't think it was really needed.

Overall I'd highly recommend this combo set if you like having access to basically everything right at your fingertips! Also the range is excellent. Since everything is in bluetooth it has a rated operating range of up to 60 feet making it a ideal choice for media enthusiasts.

Edit In: As requested I tested the gaming performance and it worked great. Felt like a normal wired keyboard. I also tried out the Bluetooth feature and got my razor hooked up. Takes about 2 minutes time to set that up. Really nice now I can transfer pictures between my phone and computer without wires. Have not tried transferring ring tones yet.

I took a quick picture of the set. You can see the little mini usb hub at the top and I put the Mouse on the dongle charger there on the right. All the touch controls are on the left side to the right of the silver strip.

LogitechMX5000Resized.jpg

have you tried gaming with the set yet? can you notice any delay that would screw you up in FPS or something? i dont have 150$ to spend on the set, though it sounds niuce, im just curious.

oh, and since im cheap, i think your an idiot for spending 150$ on a keyboard\mouse. :p dont take offense though since i seriously do, i know 1000 better ways...you should buy me this since you seem to have so much money to spend :p

LOL well I don't mind spending a bit extra since the keyboard/mouse is how you interact with the computer. I have not tried gaming on it but as far as everything on the desktop its nice and crisp. Right now i'm watching the Ultimate Fighter finally but i'll update my post and put in some input on how it games in the AM. As far as the spending goes I figure what the hell i've already spent quite a bit on Xmas gifts I was buying myself something!

Is that what your trying to get for Xmas. Doesn't look like a bad receiver.

damn...i was hoping you were going to offer to buy me that recivier.

dont judge me......one can only hope

Haha, that's the keyboard I was talking about :) It's great, bluetooth is one of the best wireless technologies available, I beleive it uses less power. Have fun with it :D

Back
Top Bottom