Water Cooling Newbie Advice Needed - Wavemaster Cool Master Case

bordrandomgamer

Solid State Member
Hello,

Well, where to start...I've been keeping my eye on watercooling for about 4 years now, opting for different air cooling solutions etc and I've finally decided to take the plung!

Before:

Wavemaster-before.jpg

So I've been reading watercoolinguk, tomshardware, etc with a view of "what is a good newbie system" and came across the XSPC kits - good value & good quality.

Last night I settled on XSPC Rasa 750 RX240 which comes with the;
- X2O 750 12V Pump/Reservoir - Dual 5.25" bay
- RX240 Dual Radiator

But last night I thought, eep where will it all go?

My case has 4x 5.25" bays so with the bottom one being taken up by the DVD-RW, 2x above being the X20 750, leaving 1 free at the top - excellent!

I did some googling last night, looking for the wavemaster case & previous watercooling solutions but all I can find is the 1.5 wavemaster project ( It did give me am idea though;
Put the rad at the front of the case vertically upwards so it would be [front of case, 2x 80mm fan's and then the rads].

Today my system shut down due to overheating (CPU is 60ish and gfx is 115ish) - yeah i know bad, hence watercooling! It comes & goes. Comes - need to de-dust, clean etc, goes. So therefore i opened up my system with a view of looking where things could go. My vertical solution by the fans isn't a go ( the hight isn't there. hence my post....

This leaves 2 places, either on the bottom of the case - giving air flow problems - or in the top 5.25" bay. I looked up the dimensions for the Rx240 rad, 58.5 is close, its all of the room available which made me look at the RS240 rad, 35 is good, fits in nicely but what about the fans (?), are these on top of the 35? another 25 on top is 60 which doesn't fit (

After:

RS240 Dimensions: 121x35x277mm (WxDxH)
RX240 Dimensions: 125x58.5x286mm (WxDxH)

I've done some before & after pictures.

My system is:
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 440 3.0GHz 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 with the 4th core unlocked.
Mobo: Asus M4A77 AMD 770 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
GFX: Sapphire HD 4850 1GB GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card
Case: Coolmaster Wavemaster

Water kit proposed: XSPC 750 RS240 from http://www.watercool...-Kit_ASLZ9.aspx
I want the extra capacity to enable me to add my GFX card at a later date.

At a later date I want to add something like this;
XSPC UK Water Cooling Shop [...] AQHMT.aspx
I have plenty of space - I have a cornor desk so have plent of space behind my monitor though its a 1.5m raise I'd say.

So in summary;
- Do I have to add the +25mm onto the rad depth to get the full depth of the working rad?
- What would you advise for draining? should I add a T junction?
- Alternatively could I put i at the bottom of the case? What air flow does the rad require?
- Any advice is most welcome. I'm completely new

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bordrandomgamer

Back
Top Bottom