Side Panel to Window

How hard is it to mod a side panel to a window? Would it be cheaper to just get a new case? I've never done any modding work with metal.

if you can cut the metal/aluminum with a dremel or what not, you can just get some plexiglass from a hardware store an put in there to.
I cant imagine it being any harder then that.

My school has a metal shop, they'd be able to cut it there right? How would I mount the window onto the side panel frame. On top? Underneath?

I'd mount it from behind... :eek:

Anyways. If you can bevel the perspex edge so that you get a flush mount window it'd look even better.

You could mount the window to the panel by drilling holes and bolting it to the window. I've also seen double-sided tape used for a cleaner look, but some might find that a bit ghetto.

Well, I just ask because I need something to do; I need a project. It doesn't necessarily have to be this, but this is what comes to mind since I want a side window. Is it advisable to mod a window on both sides?

Not on both sides. You lose a place to hide wires and there really isn't anything to see over there.

You could sleeve your PSU.

yeah one window is enough, plus when you do the side window you could always add the side fan to it by marking and drilling holes for it, then cutting a circle the right size and stick on a fan filter ^^

NEVER, for the love of God, never use those kits. The molding is massive and ugly. That's my opinion. Look back over my Case Log and see the first window I had.

I just went to my brick and mortar (TrueValue, Lowes, HD) store and bought a 30x30 sheet of plexi (1/8th thick - You can also use 1/4 for a stronger window). Also, I bought something called "Allen Key Bolts". 10 of them, and matched 10 nuts to go with those.

Then from FrozenCPU, I bought some C-Channel molding (I bought 6 feet for also cleaning up the modded edges on my case). That molding works great for stopping vibrations and looks excellent with my current window.

^^^ EDIT: I'm sure you can pick up essentially the same molding from your local B&M store. Just make sure it's rubber and not plastic.

From there, it was all work. You can see progress pictures, also in my Case Log. I taped up the metal to prevent scratches, measured things up, and began cutting the metal. From there, I cut the plexi to fit inside the metal guides that help the panel go on. I VERY CAREFULLY drilled holes in the plexi and the metal for mounting. Tack-clothed both items, mounted it, tightened the bolts, and dremel'd the ends of the bolts off to keep from having mounting interference.

Case Log - CM690

Back
Top Bottom