Overclocking an E8600

A True Folder

Fully Optimized
I have decided to make a thread for this processor, new things to play with in this release are E0 stepping and a 10x multiplier.

Tools will be E8600, P5E3 (bios 1104), Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme, Scythe 1900rpm/110 CFM 120mm fan, Arctic Cooling MX-2 (see sig for the rest)

e8600specxm8.png

Click here for full details at Intel

I received this yesterday, stock clocks are 3.33Ghz as shown above, it ran at that for around five minutes before I gave it a quick tickle last night. As you can see 4.0GHz (400MHz FSB x 10 multiplier) is easily achieved at a low vcore (set to 1.225v in the bios, vdrop of .025v)

VID for this particular chip is 1.225v (coincidentally, the same as my E3110)

e8600firstrunja7.png

The 45nm series temperature sensor woes continue with this chip at idle, one sensor refuses to go below 30°C and the other reads 1-2°C above ambient room temperature, under load they appear to be reporting correctly.

e8600realtempxe6.png

Low vcore = low temperatures = happy overclocker​

I ran prime95 for an half an hour (an hour actually but the screenie was taken half way through) at 500MHz x 8 which is a good preliminary result as inherently unstable overclocks will fail in the first hour.

firsttastedv1.png

Then I raised the multiplier to 8.5 and the vcore to 1.25v.

e8600secondrunqm1.png

4.25GHz has yet to be stability tested but this looks like a promising start.

My next attempt was raisng the multi to 9 and vcore to 1.3v and while the pc passed POST it froze loading windows, once again a promising preliminary result.

My goal, well I'm hoping (maybe dreaming) to get 4.5GHz at less than 1.35v on air.

More to come at a later date. Bring on the weekend, beers and overclocking.

Imagine "Big Grin" smilie here. (5 image limit)

I'm really impressed with the low vcore and low heat output, this E0 revision is showing lots of promise.

It will be interesting to see (when they are released) how the E0 revision E8400/E8500's stack up against the current C0 revision.

well the E8600 has done 6GHz + on LN2 so yeah 5GHz on water should be achievable I'd say.

I wanna go home and play, bloody work, lol

haha, always wanting to go back home and work on computers i see.
Thats pretty good i must say, to be able to push up to 4ghz.
Is an AMD able to do that? i am thinking of getting a Tuniq Tower 120 for my 4800+ and OC it, not sure how high i will go, i might get paranoid about ruining my cpu....

Someone got a 939 chip to do around 4 Ghz. That's already a miracle for AMD.

I had to bump up the voltage so I went big with 1.275v (bios), it appears quite stable and I'm fairly confident of being able to lower the vcore.

More testing to come
:D

e8600secondrun2wi2.png

Back
Top Bottom