Help with FPS slowdown/overheating in some games

Landowns

Beta member
I've been using the same laptop for gaming/everyday activities for a little over a year now. Here are my specs:

Dell XPS 15 L501X, Windows 7
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 435M
6 GB RAM
CPU: Intel Core i7 Q740 @ 1.73 GHz

The main game I play is League of Legends, and I've never had any problem with it. Recently I started playing Skyrim. It worked fine at first but now I experience some FPS slowdown after maybe around 30 minutes of playing it, sometimes to the point of my computer shutting down. I checked Speedfan and my GPU is getting up to around 98C while I'm playing, with the processor not far behind. I played LoL some more and the GPU is getting up to low 90s now as well, with some FPS slowdown (sometimes not so bad, sometimes rendering it unplayable). I don't know if it has always gotten this hot during LoL or if this is a new thing. I tried putting an ice pack under the computer and running the games, they both dropped by around 10-12C and I didn't have any slowdown. So, my problem is presumably GPU (and/or CPU) overheating. The skyrim problem was remedied somewhat by deleting all my old saves; apparently having too many saves can worsen the problem. Still, this only helped by 3-4C. My computer runs around 60-65C baseline, when just surfing the web and such. All graphics settings are on minimum. Graphics drivers are updated all the way as well.

My questions are:
1. What, if any, steps can I take to cool down my comp so that I can run Skyrim? If a laptop cooling pad is the way to go, does anyone have any recommendations?
2. Since LoL is slowing down now whereas it never did before, is it possible/likely I have caused lasting damage to my hardware? =O
3. Another factor is that my battery stopped working a long time ago. I always run my comp on outlet power, but should I go ahead and replace my battery? The error message says that since my battery isn't working my "computer might shut down suddenly," could this be contributing to my problem?

Thank you for reading =D

Depending on the GPU, 70 degrees Celsius is too hot. The boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius. So you are almost there. Definitely upgrade your graphics drivers. You will want to get a laptop cooling pad from here. Get a GOOD one.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&category_id=7030&st=laptop%20cooling&dgc=ST&cid=75128&lid=1949773&acd=seHUtPe9a,6222301583,901qz26673&~ck=anav

As for the Battery issue. I've never seen that error message before. There is no reason for your computer to shut down by not having a battery installed. Getting a new battery is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom