wont aquire IP need help resolving

pud

In Runtime
I got this old laptop (acer aspire 3680) came with windows xp MCE. It was missing files and in rough shape so I gave it a format and used it as a linux machine to play around with.
Ive got a new laptop (compaq athlon x2 and 4gb ddr3) so I put a fresh install of xp on the acer for the GF to use and Im missing a bunch of drivers now and the lan &wlan dont work.
Ive gone to acers website and downloaded a couple drivers suggested and managed to find one that rises my wlan device. Everything I can find reports back that the device is working properly, its just stuck on 'aquiring network address"
I have a wireless router installed at home and my new laptop is running off of it just fine.
Ive reached the extent of my knowledge and am stuck, are there any suggestions to help me resolve this issue?
thanks

Try to put in the wireless key again, If you are hooked up wireless to this device and you have tried wired. Type in this in the command field, your IP stack could be having issues.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: "netsh winsock reset catalog"
Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. "netsh int ip reset reset.log"

Reply back with your outcome.

i have had this before on a wired desktop where it wont connect but still says the network card it good. it was to do with the ip address because it was connected to a server before i got it and was set to a specific ip address. i just changed it to automatically aquire and it did it. i got to these settings in xp by going to network connections in control pannel, then right clicking the network card, then properties, and under one of the tabs or something there was a little list of something and i right clicked on internet protocol then properties i think there was a tab for ip or something like that then i changed it to auto and it worked. dont know if the same applies on wireless this is just how i did it on wired

Back
Top Bottom