wireless router making noise

IowaBoy

In Runtime
So today I was trying to hook up my WGR614 Netgear wireless router, as soon as i pluged it in a high pitched screeching sound starting coming from the modem.

Is there any way to fix this?

From the modem or from the router?

If it's coming from the router, then most likely the fan is going bad. There isn't really a way to fix this, unless you want to tear it open and void any warranty that it might have.

If you just bought it, take it back for a replacement. If it is old, try using canned air and blow out all the vents and see if that helps.

Yaknow what, mine (same model) is doing EXACTLY the same thing (at least I think from what you describe.) If so it's not a noise from the fan but the failure of an electronic component instead - it's a common fault with these routers (Google around and you'll see it come up lots!)

In short, no it's not easily fixable without ripping the thing apart, testing all the components and swapping out the one bad one that's causing the issue. You're just going to have to get it replaced I'm afraid. FYI mine has been like that since the summer of last year and has just recently started to get a bit unreliable on the wireless side of things - so it may be that it's to do with something along those lines. It did however run fine for a number of months after the noise started. No idea whether it's about to pack up altogether or it'll keep going for another year...

Back
Top Bottom