Wireless router issue

mikus69

Beta member
Can't connect to the Internet on my PC when my sister is using her wii to watch Netflix. I receive an alert on my computer from windows that I have an ip conflict that someone on the network has the same ip address. Any suggestions what to do..? I'd appreciate any help. Thank you.

Is it a desktop PC? If so, you can assign your PC a static IP address that is outside the dynamic range.

Usually routers have a range of IP addresses that they assign to clients. You can also increase that range if you have a lot of devices on your network.

Try the following:
1. If on windows xp go to start then run and type in cmd and press enter. If on windows 7/vista press start and in the searchbox type cmd and press enter.

2. In the window which pops up type ipconfig /release and press enter.

3. Now type ipconfig /renew and press enter.

How would I changing it ? I thought I would need to talk my Internet provider to get some ip addresses to do so. Oh and yeah I tried renewing it that's the first thing I tried but did not work

Is it a desktop PC? If so, you can assign your PC a static IP address that is outside the dynamic range.

Usually routers have a range of IP addresses that they assign to clients. You can also increase that range if you have a lot of devices on your network.

Considering most devices have a range of 100 addresses in their DHCP queue, I'd say it is unlikely the OP will have to expand the dynamic range.

However, I agree with the statement that the OP should try issuing static IP addresses.

In Windows, you will want to select Internet Properties, select the wireless interface, and hit Configure. Then you would want to tell it to use a specific IP address; as mentioned, you want to use an address that is outside the range issued by the router's DHCP server.

Many routers use the range 192.168.0.100-200, so using a low number like 192.168.0.25 would work.

Keep in mind that unless you have some form of Quality of Service turned on, the Wii may be hogging all the bandwidth. I have the same problem in my home.

What's your wireless requirement to install in your computer? Is your OS support with the wireless technology? If you not carefully to install the software, its possible your OS will be corrupted, especially in your registry.

eh.gif

Is it me, or does he seem not quite the expert he purports to be?

I tried changing it but I need a DNS server address and I'm not just sure how to go about obtaining that information? Wait, if the wii is taking all my bandwidth does that mean its normal for me not to even be able to connect to it??

Does your router have an active firewall? If so, then you will want to turn off Windows firewall and set your DNS to the IP address of your router.

I tried changing it but I need a DNS server address and I'm not just sure how to go about obtaining that information? Wait, if the wii is taking all my bandwidth does that mean its normal for me not to even be able to connect to it??
I think you just solved your own problem, the Wii is the culprit.....

Back
Top Bottom