Wireless router confuss here..

Acccessme

Baseband Member
Hi everyone,
I am trying to set up a Netgrear 108Mbps Wireless firewall Router here at the office. We have a T1 connection, Our ISP has a Router going to our Switch rack. So I have one domain server and 40 PCs. I would like to add wireless access. So I thought this Netgear would work. But I am not sure how to or where to connect this router. I plug the router from one of the switches and then to my PC but I can not even get to the setting option of the router. it said that can not connect to 192.168.0.1 I think this is the default IP address. But my gateways is the same address.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You must connect directly from one of the ethernet LAN ports on the router to be able to configure the router. Is your network DHCP or static?
Might I suggest return the router and getting a true access point like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833150022.

Reason being is that since you already have a network set up and dont really need to have a router issuing further dhcp. You just need an "access point" that wireless clients can connect. An access point like above really doesnt need much configuration other than ssid, wep and mac filtering (if you want these things enabled). An access point just acts as a conduit to connect to your network wirelessly.

My network is Staitc.. but our ISP have a router connect to our Switch rack and that routher is DHCP.
What I really would like to do is to have a wireless access to our internet ONLY not to our network.. if that is possble?
If I understand right that's is why i didn' want to get the access point because then I would have my whole network access wireless and i am not too comnfortable with that.

Acccessme said:
that router is DHCP.
What I really would like to do is to have a wireless access to our internet ONLY not to our network.. if that is possble?
Strange though that your ISP installed a router. You sure you dont mean a dsl/cable modem? Never heard of an ISP installing routers.
If it is indeed a router and it has more than one lan port on it and one is open ... then I would connect your wireless router to it. The ISP router should automatically assign an address to the wireless router (just as it would if the wireless router were connecting directly to the ISP DHCP server). Then just follow your wireless router configuration instructions as if you were connecting directly to a cable/dsl modem. I would change the DHCP server scope on the wireless router to something like 192.168.100.x ... giving addresses of 192.168.100.100-150 to your wireless client pc's. This way they are separate and different from your already established network scope.

Again, be sure that you are connecting directly to your wireless router via one of the lan ports on the back of it. Connect the WAN (Internet port) to the ISP router.

Now if your ISP router does not have lan ports on the back of it ... then you're forced to connect via your switch. In this case you'll have to do a completely different configuration. But first try the above and let me know how that goes. We're here to help ... we'll get you through this.

to set up the router you need to be on the same subnet as the router
what I would do is take one pc and take the wirelwsss router over to the pc with a patch cable. connect the cable to the router, go to network connections in control panel, right click your network interface card, then click properties, then highlight TCP IP and click properties ,if you have static ip addresses write them down and the other info too.. If the radio button is already on obtain ip automatically ok , if not set it now, then close back out to windows desk top.
Make sure the router is connected to the pc, power on to the router, press the router reset switch. may need a thin wire, like unfolded paper clip. At the windows desktop click start , then in run type cmd press enter
type ipconfig /releas this will release your old ip address and obtain an ip address from the routers DHCP. Then you should be able to click on IE and it will open up and click on the stop or the document with the red x on it directly to the right of the right go back arrow, this will stop the browser from loading. Then you type in the ip address of the routers embeded web page, should be in the instructions. It is best to get everybody connected ( same SSID / CHANNEL also set to 802.11 B or G or both, depending on what is connecting....then the second wave is security, if you do not get this right you will open a gigantic hole in your network security. Set the encryption, change the ssid , change your log on password, If you will not have guests turn off ssid broadcast.

does your wireless router have a setting to set it as a bridge. You may want to take it back and get an access point. You may not be able to get an inter net connection just by connecting a cat5 cable from the switch to the wan port on the router...if it does not work and you do not have a bridge setting ...get an access point.

tractorboy,

Try reading other posts in this thread before giving your input ... most all you typed has already been discussed previously.

No ones toes were stepped on here :) Just wish people would take the time to read all posts within a thread as thoroughly as possible. Others give their input (which takes thought, time and effort0. Then someone else comes in and regurgitates the exact same thoughts hours or days later. Guess I feel its disrespectful of the others who have already given the suggestion or advice.

Back
Top Bottom