Wireless internet stick not working with home network

OTSS

In Runtime
I just moved from the city to the country and am using a Bell Internet stick model Novatel U679. I also can tether my iphone 4 for decent internet as well. Now the problem is I also have a router connected to my computer to stream movies and music to all the TV's in my house, there is no internet attached to this router it is just used for streaming. When I was in the city using a modem it worked with no problems, now whenever I connect my internet stick into the computer while the router is connected I get no internet. I can simply unplug the router and the internet will work but I can't get them both to work at the same time. I even tried buying a 3G router, the Dlink DIR-412 but my specific stick is not supported and I even called dlink support to see if there was maybe a workaround or firmware upgrade but there wasn't. Does anyone know if there is a way to get both my media network and internet working at the same time.

Your best bet is to get a 3G router that supports the Novatel U679. You might look into the routers offered by Cradlepoint which is the company that produces the most highly regarded 3G routers. You will need to check that your modem, used with your carrier, is supported.

If all of your computers connect wirelessly, then you might want to check into software called Connectify which will let you turn a Win 7 computer with a wireless adapter into a Hotspot in order to share with your other computers.
http://www.connectify.me/

I tried both Connectify and Virtual Router and they seemed to work but then both stopped working before streaming a whole movie and not reconnecting again. I had to disable them and start them again and then reconnect through my TV before they worked then the same problem happened again so I gave up on those because they can't hold a connection long enough to stream a movie and my tv is less than 12 feet away which is within the 30 feet that it works. I will try to find a compatible router from the ones you recommended and see how that goes. I am also wondering if anyone knows a way to get it working in my current configuration, is it a windows problem or is there a program that i can find that manages my network and will allow it? Or do I have to just find a 3G router that is compatible.

Back
Top Bottom