Wireless Internet Issues - I have an Excellent Connection but it won't connect

Bradman77

Beta member
Good evening,

I have a wireless cable modem set-up at home and I have never, to do, had any issues with the internet. Recently our power went out and now one of my two computers is not connecting to it anymore. My MacBook still works fine on our network. Both computers see the wireless connection and it registers "Excellent." I did the whole, unplug and turn-off, then turn back on thing. I also tried to plug in the cable directly into the problematic computer and that didn't work.

The computer I'm having issues with is an HP Pavillion dv5 and we're running Windows 7. The network was set-up with a WPA2-Personal security type with AES encryption and I setup a network security key (which I set up about a year ago). The computer still finds the network and it shows the network name, but won't connect. My wife is really frustrated that I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks! Brad

Can you log-on to the router and see if is detecting the laptop or not?

Some have been siting the bios as the problem:
ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/880GXHUSB3.pdf
If you have windows 7 or Vista you can hit the windows key and type system information and look for the BIOS version/date, you're looking for F.26 I believe. Bios flashing is very tricky so make sure you read any dialog that pops up during the process. If you lose power or something dumb like that while you're flashing your bios you may have broken your mobo permanently. It's real easy on hp computers just don't mess up.

If you're logging into your router:
1. Press Win+r
2. Type cmd and press enter
3. Type ipconfig /all
4. Look for Default Gateway
5. Type the corresponding number into your web browser(ie, mozilla, chrome)
6. That will log you into your router (assuming you know the password)
The default password is easy to find. Go online and search "default password for your router model here". There are a lot of directions you could take from here depending on your model and the settings that may differ from factory default, which if you have the default password set up it may be safe to assume the factory defaults are still in place.

If you'd just like to try and reset your connection; the old way that we generally assume windows does automatically:
1. Press Win+r
2. Type cmd and press enter
3. Type ipconfig /all
4. Type ipconfig /release
5. Type ipconfig /flushdns
6. Type ipconfig /renew
7. Wait half a minute
8. Try your internet again
if this works:
Tell your wife you don't slave away in those coal mines all day to come home and get all this guff.

Back
Top Bottom