Wireless card no network access at home

jjohnston7

Solid State Member
I just got a brand new HP laptop running windows 8. I connect to hotel wireless networks all the time with no problem, but when I get home, the card doesn't even see my wireless network. I fire up my old laptop also an HP and I see it with no problem. Why can't my new laptop see my network, but it sees others?

The router is just the one that I got from the ISP.

Is your home router setup as a 5ghz router? We just got a new dual-band router which uses both 2.4 & 5ghz. None of the devices we have can even see the ssid for the 5ghz side but have no trouble seeing or connecting to the 2.4ghz side.

Another thing to check is whether the router is set to broadcast the ssid or not.

Is your home router setup as a 5ghz router? We just got a new dual-band router which uses both 2.4 & 5ghz. None of the devices we have can even see the ssid for the 5ghz side but have no trouble seeing or connecting to the 2.4ghz side.

This. Even my brand new laptop cannot see the 5Ghz signal so it's all going to be hit or miss. Odds are the router is set to the 5Ghz range which is why you cannot see it.

I will have to check that! Thanks! Its actually a friend with the trouble, so I'll run over there and take a look.

It looks like the router doesn't have a 5ghz option. I found out he can connect to the network, only he doesn't get internet access. I checked to make sure a proxy wasn't being used, also checked that he is using DHCP and he is.

The next thing I'd check is that he doesn't have his security software set to block the internet on that network (should only be an issue if he's using something more advanced than the windows firewall).

Then in command prompt (search for it, right click and run as administrator) he should run the following three commands exactly as I have typed while he's connected to the wireless network:
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

If all that fails then I'd have him do the following:
Shutdown his computer
Unplug the router from power
if it's a separate unit, unplug the modem from power
wait a minute
plug the modem back in to power (if you have one that's a stand alone)
wait a minute
plug the router back into power
boot up the laptop

Try that and let us know how it goes

Back
Top Bottom