Wireless adsl problem

pabl0

Beta member
Hi, i'm stuck.

My friend has a laptop with a wireless usb dongle that works fine, connects to the wireless adsl modem straight away no probs.

The problem is, that she has to share this dongle with the rest of her family and it causes loads of arguments!

The laptop has onboard wireless, which detects the network, but cannot connect to it. when you go to connect through windows wireless network manager, you have to put in the password but still doesnt connect.

Thinking that there was a problem with the hardware, i wnt out and got her another dongle, but its the same story. I'm at a loss what to do about it to be honest.

I know this has probably been done a million times before, but i dont have the time to go trawling through all the posts. :)

Any ideas?

you could try creating the connection manually. click the wireless symbol and go to properties, and then go to wireless networks. click advanced and enter all the connection info in there manually. make sure you get it all right. then click ok and hope for the best :)

Ok, i tried that, the network is already there, and when i try to put the wpa password in and press ok and then go back into it, the password is no longer there.

This is terrible! :)

how old is the laptop exactly? ... maybe the card doesnt support wpa. a driver update could be needed

I would ping the "dongle" (ex. 192.168.0.1) and also ping a website (www.google.com), if you do not get replies, you are not connected. If you do, make sure you do not have a firewall blocking access.

Back
Top Bottom