windows 98 and xp networking

Gothguy

Beta member
I'm having a problem connecting my two comps together, there's an internet connection coming to my room and theres a baricade with 4 lan and 1 wan connections on it. Connected the net to wan and the two comps to lan ports, both of them can surf the net but the problem is that the network neighborhood is not working. On the xp machine i can c the 98 one if i choose entire network but can't access it and the 98 machine doesn't c nething. Both are set to the same workgroup. IPs are obtaned automatically. whats could be wrong?

Please make sure you have your workgroups setup accordingly!

right click on my computer, computer name, then click the change button, then make sure the workgroup name on there matches the rest of the pcs, and youre done! ;)

hope that helps! ;)

The file sharing is set and the workgroups mach on both comps but they still cant c each other. The only place were the xp machine can c the 98 machine is when i klick on add network places and chose entire network, but i still cant enter the 98 machine. thats the first time i c things like that and i cant figure out what could be wrong:(

manually config your IPs. soemtimes windows DHCP goes nuts and gives the other a odd IP.

also be sure the right network services are started on both machines, and all protcols are installed.

simple solution,

turn off XP's firewall. This causes many problems!

Please post the IP address of both machines, subnet masks and default gateway information.

im not sure, correct me if im wrong

but dont you have to set ur network for xp first when it asks you if you want a networkdisk(?) stick in ur floppy then transfer the settings to 98

Back
Top Bottom