Win XP Internet Connection Sharing Issues

Salient

Beta member
Here's my problem:

I have two desktops running XP Sp3, and one of them is connected to the household internet via wireless adapter. Since I only have one of thes, I enabled internet connection sharing on it and ran a jumper to the other one. I set up the host computer to share its internet connection, and told it to take an IP of 192.168.0.1 on its LAN card.

The other computer was getting the dreaded limited or no connectivity thing, so I told it to take an ip of 192.168.0.2 and use the first IP as its DNS server. Worked fine for about a day, then stopped. Network up (could even see the shared internet in network connections), but web browsers could not establish a connection to the outside. I tried repairing the connection, then restarted and it worked again!

Then today, it's not working again. Most sites I've seen suggest letting the client computer pull its IP from the host computer via DHCP, but when I do that it still says limited connectivity and gives me the automatic 169... ip.

I've tried resetting TCP/IP and winsock via those netsh commands I've seen people throw around, but still no luck.

Any other ideas?

Dumb question, you probably already checked this. Is the desktop that is sharing it's connection set to act a DHCP server with the wired card?

I noticed there are some DHCP options in the advanced -> ics -> settings page under my wireless network connection, but playing around with them doesn't seem to do anything. Even with them unchecked, It says that DHCP is enabled under tcp/ip properties.

Edit:

I have found a somewhat tedious solution that seems to be working:

1. Disable ICS on host
2. Create network bridge between wireless and LAN
3. Run wizard on host (which removes network bridge, of course).

After the client has been off or on standby, I have to run through these again to get the internet started. Any ideas what's really going on here?

Back
Top Bottom