Why do I have 2 different IP addresses?

kevinoh33

Beta member
Why is it that when I connect my computer to my cable modem, my ip address is completely different than connecting my computer to my netgear wireless router? I checked both on What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... and they turned out to be different ip addresses. When I first checked my ip address from the link above when I was connected to my router. It was (69.xxx.xx.xxx). Then when I plugged my computer to the cable modem the ip address was (173.x.xxx.xx). Then I connected back to the netgear router and I checked the IP address again and it was the same as before (69.xxx.xx.xxx). I tried turning off the modem and router on and off and nothing changed.

Is there any way I can change the IP address when I'm connected to my netgear wireless router so that when I go on What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... it shows a different ip address?

thats just how it is. you modem and wirelass router has different IP. there is no identical IP in use at the same time.
dont worry about it.

Your modem receives an "outside" IP address from your ISP. When you connect your computer to it, you receive an "inside" IP address. That "inside" address is determined by the manufacturer of your modem/router. There's no reason to change it, unless you've been IP banned from something....=P

Two different things going on here-- your modem gets its IP address from your internet provider. When your computer is connected directly to it, that is the IP address you see. It is randomnly assigned by your ISP and there is little you can do to change it without spending money for a fixed address. When you plug your router into the modem, the router takes on that IP address, and assigns its own set of IP addresses to whatever connects to it via the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol DHCP. These addresses are purely local and the internet never sees them.

Your computer has two different network devices in it-- the wired Network Interface Card (NIC), and the wireless network interface (wifi). Each has its own unique hardwired Machine Address Code (MAC), When you connect to the router, it assigns a unique IP address to each MAC it sees via DHCP. You can change the address range and likely assign a fixed IP to an individual MAC in the routers configuration page. Again, the internet never sees these IP addresses, it only sees the IP of the modem.

Back
Top Bottom