What profession to choose?

dpacer

Beta member
I couldn't find a spot on the forums that looked designated to my question, but I'm interested in networking so I figured I'd post it here.

I'm about to graduate from uni w/ a history bachelor's (that I'm only using as a "yes, I went to school" degree) and I really want to work in the IT field.

I'm 22 and have time to learn some languages/how to build websites, etc. I have minor knowledge in these areas but can definitely learn. I'm asking because I don't know what languages/computer skills pay. I want to learn something that will pay the bills and have some left over. I don't want to jump onto a dead horse.

Hopefully someone can help me, thanks for reading.

Sincerely, Davi

Well, depending on where you live (urban area or rural) the need for postitions might be different. The more urban you are, the more the need for web developers and graphic designers. However, PC techs/networking techs are needed in any city where there are businesses. I am a Networking Major and have found a job in a very small city (less then 10,000 people). It pays all my bills and has plenty left over.

However, it might be hard for you to find a job in the computer/IT field with no schooling or experience. Most employers are going to look for an actual Networking/IT degree as opposed to just know you went to college.

Agreed. Especially if the market is competitive or anywhere near saturated. Even in my field (Pharmacy) where there is much more demand than supply, I still have to prove my worth at interviews. That includes experience, attitude, knowledge base, the whole nine yards.

You have a degree that, if I remember correctly, can lend itself to a teaching position, depending on your location. Around here, you wouldn't have a chance, as the State of Washington just got done cutting teaching positions across our fine state due to budget shortfalls.

IIWY, I would concentrate, first, on getting a position that will pay the bills using the education you have now. If you get into a career you like, then you have it made. If you still see yourself doing IT/Networking after a little while on the job, then go for it and explore the possibilities of part-time schooling while working full-time.

If I remember correctly a teaching certificate would take another year, but I could be incorrect.

So.....that is my fatherly advise (yes, I just sounded like MY father in that post). My Dad was a teacher for thirty-five years before he retired. He influenced generations of students. In the end, his former students began to have kids and, yup, he taught them as well. I have many friends who are teachers and, although the pay isn't up to standards IMO, it is one of the most noble of professions.

So kick it around.....the possibilities that are already in front of you.

most degrees are now yes, I went to school degrees,

I used to work with a guy in a software house, he was a coder, his degree was in business. so it is possible.

Probably the best way to get started would be to do some freelance work in your spare time to build up a portfolio, (since you want to be a website designer).

Then you will be able to send a portfolio of work, or at least a list of the kind of sites that you've been coding to prospective employers.

to quote Steve Carell from "little miss sunshine"

do what you love, F*CK everything else.

to quote Steve Carell from "little miss sunshine"

do what you love, F*CK everything else.
Noble quote, but not particularly helpful in the real world if what you love doesn't end up paying the bills I'm afraid!

As others have said, you're going to struggle with no experience in industry and no qualifications. There's a fair number of people coming out of uni with comp sci degrees at the moment, and even with one of those in this day and age you might well struggle without something on your CV to make you stand out.

To have a good chance of making it into the industry from education these days you're looking at a 2:1 degree or higher, preferably some practical experience in industry and hard evidence of good work (perhaps a relevant assignment or even better a project you've contributed to on the side) in the field you want to go into. If you've been selected for any awards or special projects at university that you can mention, or you can get exceptional references from relatively well known professors that you've worked with - all the better.

No, you don't need all the above to go into computing - but it really does help. With pretty much nothing as people have said above I'd pretty much stick it out with the skills you have already. If you want to do some freelance stuff in your spare time to build your CV up and look to migrating to IT in the future, great - but don't expect this to come without a fair bit of time, effort and most probably frustration along the way.

I think, just to reinforce my previous post, you really need to have an IT degree. It used to be (even just 5 or 10 years ago) if you knew a little more than the average user you could be a tech coordinator. Now you really need to have a degree in computers to get into this field.

Back
Top Bottom