Weird experience with wireless networking

iffy

In Runtime
Ok so here is what I did. I have two NETGEAR DG834G routers that I configured to wirelessly repeat (master and client). Now after having done this, I found that the client would randomly drop signal and that everytime I switched on my xbox (or PC) which was connected to the client, I had to sign-in. One day however the xbox would just not sign in to live so I just randomly thought I would give the xbox a static ip address. I did so and since then the system will automatically login in to xbox live. So how do you guys think this one works? It's worth noting that I HAVE dhcp enabled on both routers and I am also broadcasting the client routers SSID.

On a side note I have configured port forwarding on the master router which I connected my pc wirelessly to. This works fine, but if I connect the pc to the client (via ethernet) would I also have to configure port forwarding on the client router?

Any time that you assign a static IP address (as long as it's in the range of the subnet of the network) it will work. Regardless of whether you have DHCP setup or not.

Also, you should only have 1 DHCP server on a network so you should turn it off in the client Router. They are competing with each other to give out address and that is probably why you are having issues.

I don't think you should have to port forward on the client - as long as the master is the one assigning it an IP address it will know how to get to the PC.

Back
Top Bottom