Web browsing over a network problem

bj12y3

Beta member
I recently got a second computer and have tryed to network both computers to share a single broadband connection.
The first computer, that already had a working connection to the internet, still works fine. The second computer, however, cannot web browse for some reason. The second computer does say it is connected to the ADSL router and it will file share with the other computer, aswell as play online games, including world of warcraft. The only thing it wont do is web browse, althrough once it did connect to google and do a search, but only once.
Im currently using a DES-1005D ethernet switch to connect the ADSL router and both computers together.
I reckon its something to do with the router settings, but i dont want to stuff the up and have no internet at all.

Any help woold be great.
Thanks

If you can connect to the internet in other ways, as you said, it could be the settings on your browser.

bj12y3 said:
I recently got a second computer and have tryed to network both computers to share a single broadband connection.
The first computer, that already had a working connection to the internet, still works fine. The second computer, however, cannot web browse for some reason. The second computer does say it is connected to the ADSL router and it will file share with the other computer, aswell as play online games, including world of warcraft. The only thing it wont do is web browse, althrough once it did connect to google and do a search, but only once.
Im currently using a DES-1005D ethernet switch to connect the ADSL router and both computers together.
I reckon its something to do with the router settings, but i dont want to stuff the up and have no internet at all.

Any help woold be great.
Thanks

First off your "ADSL router" likely isnt routing, which is causing the problem. Generally ISP's limit you to one ip address, so if you have a ADSL modem + ethernet switch, only one computer will actually go online at a time.

And, could you please run "ipconfig /all" in command prompt and respond with the output here.

ok, i ran ipconfig /all and under win ip configuration it said that ip routing is not enabled. It also said that WINS Proxy is not enabled.
I guess this is the problem?? If it is, how do i enable it?

Thanks

bj12y3 said:
ok, i ran ipconfig /all and under win ip configuration it said that ip routing is not enabled. It also said that WINS Proxy is not enabled.
I guess this is the problem?? If it is, how do i enable it?

Thanks

Just copy / paste the entire thing, ip routing and WINS proxy should have nothing to do with the problem.

I'm wondering if your getting an external or internal IP address.

Here you go.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : FAMILY
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
roller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-11-BE-47-5C