very basic wireless problem

bourbon daddy

Beta member
hi, can anyone tell me how to set my laptop (Sony Vaio VGN series, running windows vista) so I can access the internet wirelessly. it is a wireless laptop with wireless switched on, but for some reason I can only go on the internet when it is hard wired

Well first you can check to see if it's enabled on windows.
Control Panel -> View network status and tasks -> Manage Network Connections. Then Right click on the wireless connection. Click enable
There should be a icon on button right of the screen that should look like a wireless thing.

Second, make sure you are within range of a wireless router....(it has to be said...)

And yes, verify that the hardware switch and the software switch are turned on.

After that please provide some more details.
-Does it show that there are any networks available?
-Does it try to connect but errors out?
-Is it the network key you don't know?

Hi, quick update... I am just having a quick look at things now. I am in manage wireless connections, where it should have signal strength it has a red cross and says, 'the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.' I am trying to enter the required information manually, but being a complete novice that I am I dont know what to input. What security type do I want??? What encryption type do I want????
just entered all the information required successfully, but it still isnt letting me connect wirelessly.

To recap, so far... I have tred to right click to enable wireless connection, it wanted me to connect manually, but that still didnt do it.

I know my security key, so that is not a problem.
It shows networks are available
It wont even try and connect
Hardware switch is on, computer well within range (5m)
No problem connecting playstation 3 to wireless network.
I think I have had a similar problem to this before, I just cant remember how I sorted it out. I think my laptop is setup so it doesnt automatically search and update IP addresses, so I have to manually input the corresponding IP address ( something like that anyway, like I said, I am absolutely awful with computers, they terrify me!!!!)

Man, I'm thinking about it right now. I'm not on a Vista computer right now to match where you are right now. You really shouldn't have to input anything besides the password...
Lets see if pictures will help out then you can show me too. Do you know how to do screen shots?
When you bring up the wireless thing to find your network it should look like this.
connect2.jpg

To make it so you dont have to input your own IP your have to right click on "Wireless Network Connection -> Properties" Bring up this
tcpproperties.jpg

Then click on the Internet protocol 4 - > properties -> automatically obtain everything

Also I looked up that plane and They don't have that many pictures lol. Must be old. Our 135's were mostly build in 1960. So it's pretty old but they also modded it out big time. I'm deployed right now in the Desert. Since we are refuelers we have to attach and take of these drogues all the time to so the plane can refuel navy jets. It's a pain :)

Right, I have just changed the settings with the protocol 4 properties, still nothing. I unplugged the ethernet cable from my router and switched it off, then on. With no ethernet cable plugged in, my laptop would not even acknolwedge it was there??? Sorry mate, you will have to tell me how to do screenshots, i am REALLY useless with computers lol.

lol okay well there is a prtSe or Printscreen button on the top right of the keyboard. somewhere around there. Then you copy and paste that to MS paint and save it. Put it online.
Does your laptop get internet when you plug it in through ethernet cable? If so we can take it to the extreme and take this on skype. Share your screen and I'll talk you through of what to do. lol

I recommend you delete the wireless profile that is setup (the one you are trying to edit). This will allow you to connect to the network from scratch and properly set it up. HERE is a link to a page with screenshots on how to delete a wireless profile in XP and Vista.

What security type do I want??? What encryption type do I want????
This info will be located in your wireless settings on the router. They will be the same as the ones used on your PS3. Most likely they are WEP security and 32 bit encryption (I think that one is most common or maybe none? -- can someone help me out with that).

Back
Top Bottom