Urgent Network Help!!

Mattyl110792

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I am in urgent need of fixing my network as the second computer must be on the net. I am currently connecting 2 computers together using just the cross-over cable, and yesterday all of a sudden when i go to turn on the network, it just tries to "aquire a network address" and eventually just says limited or no connectivity. I have after that brought a new cable, did the same. I then tried a different network card, and this time it worked. But today when i went to connect, once again, just "aquires a network address" again. I think i need to start over and any help on what to do please would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you,

Matt

i have this problem sometimes. try disabling the windows firewall. it doesn't like to set up a connection for some reason.

yea its most probably is a firewall causing this problem. turn that off.

start-->control panel-->windows firewall. and turn it off from there.

if you keep having problems, instead of using a cross over cable, you might want to buy a router that way both pc's are always on the net. saves time and you only configure it once!

Hi,

Thank you very much for that, although it wasnt the Windows Firewall blocking it, it was my anti-virus software blocking access to the internet from the network. I have heard a lot about Routers and Hubs, do you know how much the average price for one would be?

Thanking-you,

Matt

heya matt

well routers and hubs can vary in price. a decent router will cost around $200. Go for the netgear ones they are good. d-link is ok too.

get one with wired and wireless capabilities. that way you can connect both your pc's with a cable and then have a wireless network happening so that if you get a laptop you dont have to go and buy a new router. but anyways the end choice is up to you!!

toodles

i paid $80CAD(now on sale for 9.99CAD,lol) for mine and it works awsome. mines only wired though. I bought one from the company SMC. So far I have had 0 problems with it. As Natalya said the prices really range in router. even more in the prices of wireless routers.

Hey,

Thankyou very much for that, it was very useful. The host computer was in need of a format and now the network is going again. For how long though, i dont know.

Thanking-you,

Matt

Back
Top Bottom