Two Computer Networking Problem

oz02

Solid State Member
Firat off, I just would like to say hi. As you may notice from my post count, I'm new here so try to be gentle. I'm more of a programmer than a networking/IT guy so I have no idea what to do here, I've never done any networking whatsoever in my life.

I have two computers, one is Windows XP Home, and one is Windows 98. The internet works perfectly on both of them, but I really want to transfer some files between the two computers.

For some reason, the Windows 98 computer is able to pick itself up on the network, but not the XP computer. They both are set to the workgroup MSHOME. The XP computer doesn't pick up anything. On the modem/router combo (deal from my ISP) both computers show up, however the XP computer's domain name is shown as unknown while the 98 shows up as MSHOME.

I've tried a lot of different things to try to make it work. I uninstalled SP2 on the XP, then I changed the workgroup on both of them from the original workgroup to MSHOME, then I tried the "Set up a small home or office network" thing on the XP machine, using my memory key to setup the file it gave me on the 98 computer. All to no avail. I think the problem is with the XP computer, but how do you think I could fix it?

I believe you need to buy a crossover ethernet cable. A crossover cable links two devices, such as computers, without a hub or anything. I haven't tried it yet, but thats what I see from other internet articles. Just connect the two computers with the crossover cable and both should say that "blah blah blah" is connected. Make sure that the link speed is set to the highest and full duplex. Then enable file sharing on the folders you want transferred. Then go to my network places (on the computer you want to recieve the files) and add the shared folders, or try clicking browse. Once thats done, go to the network folder and transfer files.

AnonymousI said:
I believe you need to buy a crossover ethernet cable. A crossover cable links two devices, such as computers, without a hub or anything. I haven't tried it yet, but thats what I see from other internet articles. Just connect the two computers with the crossover cable and both should say that "blah blah blah" is connected. Make sure that the link speed is set to the highest and full duplex. Then enable file sharing on the folders you want transferred. Then go to my network places (on the computer you want to recieve the files) and add the shared folders, or try clicking browse. Once thats done, go to the network folder and transfer files.

he has a router, this step is not necessary.

have you checked that you have the same networking components installed (more specifically, protocols)? please note a computer will only appear on the network if it has a service to offer, such as a printer or shared drive.

Yep, they both have the "Client for Microsoft Networks" as well as "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks".

Check your SP2 security settings... Had the same problems with my other desktop machines, and the networking process... Just disabled the firewall and seemed to work fine :L)

oz02 said:
I uninstalled SP2 on the XP, then...
As you can see I don't have SP2 installed.

And yah, I didn't have the built-in firewall enabled and don't have it now. I'd rather use a much more reliable firewall then the built-in crap.

Well I thought it was problem with SP2, since before it was installed my PC was running okay for a Windows platform. After I installed it the problems came running in, so I thought maybe this was one of the problems that SP2 is causing. Anyways, my PC runs much better without it.

Really? Wow, I have SP2 (Windows Xp Professional) on all of my

2 Compaq Desktops, 2 HP Desktops, 1 HP Laptop.

Back
Top Bottom