troubleshooting question

ChrisKohl9760

Beta member
This is going to sound odd... I am taking a final exam (open book test) for a class and this question is really stumping me. It is no where in the text, and I have researched it on google also. Maybe one of you can help me answer this question.

I am thinking maybe enable netbios over TCP/IP is not enabled on the clients, however I am unsure.

Any thoughts...?

Scenario: For the last two, six of your salesman worked from temporary quarters and were managed by other IT personnel. Recently the salesman and their computers were moved into the same building as the rest of the company. As the network administrator, you reconfigured their computers for DHCP, and set them up to be automatically added to the WINS server. However, they are unable to communicate with any network devices. When you analyze packets captured from their computers, it appears as if DHCP has sent the wrong network configuration information to all six computers, but you verified the DHCP server has the correct configuration. No one else is having a problem communicating to network devices.

Based on the data you have in this scenario, state a possible explanation(s) for the cause of the problem.

Hint: All six computers having a problem are misconfigured in the same way.

There is an option in the tcpip properties under the WINS tab that probably needs to be checked, "use net bios setting from the dhcp server". If that it not checked it might not get the correct WINS information and will not work on the network. Hope I am right...and it helps....

Back
Top Bottom