First and foremost, what type of connection? DSL (phone line) or Cable (cable TV). With DSL, you almost have to run the installation wizard, or they are pretty dificult to setup. Cable, on the other hand, is realatively simple. Here are some basic troubleshooting steps:
1. Go to Start>Run>type "cmd" without quotes, hit OK
2. A black screen (DOS prompt) will pop up. Nevermind what the text says, simply type "ipconfig" without quotes, and hit enter.
3. It should give you some information. The most important information is the IP address (with a router, this will usually start with a 192.xxx.x.x) If you have a 69.xxx.xx.x this means your computer is not communicating with your DHCP server (your router). If you do have a 192.xxx.x.x address, look at the default gateway. It should also be a 192.xxx.x.x addresss.
4. Take the "default gateway" address, double-click IE (Internet Explorer). Type the IP address in the browser (instead of typing www.whatever.com
, type in 192.xxx.x.x (the default gateway address).
5 You should get a login prompt- most default username and passwords are admin for the username, and blank (nothing) for the password.
6. You should now be in the router- from here, you need to refer to the "lil manual" and determine where you can see your WAN (wide area network) address.
7. Good luck, hope this helps!