Tracking down a network device

Dsrt

Baseband Member
Ok, here's the deal. The other day I was going through my DHCP server and ran across a lease pointing to a computername that I didn't recognize.

It didn't show up like the rest as they have the computername.domain.com...this just had the computername listed. So, I start trying to track it down.

Ping IP - responds
Ping Hostname - fails
Ping -a IP - responds but doesn't show hostname
Tracert - shows 1 hop the way it should
NSLookUp - shows the server, address of the server then says that the domain controller can't find the IP address: Non-existent domain.

So, my question. How the hell can I track down what this is? I'm still able to ping it, but I've been to every network drop in our building and nothing is out of place.

I really don't know how to track this device down. Any ideas would be greatly welcome.

^Agreed. That would be the first thing I would do. That way it's off the network. Then wait and see who/what isn't working. If you don't find/hear any complaints or devices not working then I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok, I guess my logic wasn't too far off. I canceled the lease the first day I found it. It was good until the 14th, so I guess I will wait until it try's to renew.

Just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom