switch or router?

PuNkY

In Runtime
im very new to networking so bare with me:) . so right now i have windows 2003 server and have it directly connected to my main computer. it is sharing my wireless internet (ICS). i want to connect other computers to my server. do i need a switch or a router? im 90% sure i need a switch. i just want to make sure before i buy.

im very new to networking so bare with me . so right now i have windows 2003 server and have it directly connected to my main computer. it is sharing my wireless internet (ICS). i want to connect other computers to my server. do i need a switch or a router? im 90% sure i need a switch. i just want to make sure before i buy.

What I would recommend is stop using ICS and buy a 'ROUTER,' not a switch.

The Internet Connection Sharing feature within XP allows a user to connect one PC to the internet and then share that connection with the rest of the computers within his home or small office network. While it was generally a good idea when it was conceived, if you have a high speed connection a real router is a faster, easier to configure, and more secure. For small home or office, we strongly recommended the Linksys Cable/DSL Routers, which are usually under $100.00.

If you want to connect other computers like you state then you need to purchase a router. You don't normally plug individual PC's into a switch. You plug them into a router.

Since your new to networking heres a little F.Y.I Use switches to isolate parts of the network, not to isolate individual PCs.

Hope this helps. 0X0161

im very new to networking so bare with me . so right now i have windows 2003 server and have it directly connected to my main computer. it is sharing my wireless internet (ICS). i want to connect other computers to my server. do i need a switch or a router? im 90% sure i need a switch. i just want to make sure before i buy.

The Internet Connection Sharing feature within XP allows a user to connect one PC to the internet and then share that connection with the rest of the computers within his home or small office network. While it was generally a good idea when it was conceived, if you have a high speed connection a real router is a faster, easier to configure, and more secure. For small home or office, we strongly recommended the Linksys Cable/DSL Routers, which are usually under $100.00.

If you want to connect other computers like you state then you need to purchase a router. You don't normally plug individual PC's into a switch. You plug them into a router.

Since your new to networking heres a little F.Y.I Use switches to isolate parts of the network, not to isolate individual PCs.

Hope this helps. 0X0161

I have a router, but right now ICS (sharing my wireless connection) is the only thing I have since my router is far from my room and have no where to run a ethernet cable. Im running server 2003 for learning purposes, and i wanna see how many computers i can hook up to it.

I have a router, but right now ICS (sharing my wireless connection) is the only thing I have since my router is far from my room and have no where to run a ethernet cable.

I think what you have is an Ethernet Broadband Router. Meaning, no wireless features/options. I would look into buying a router that does wired and wireless networking a Linksys router from walmart could do this. lol

Im running server 2003 for learning purposes, and i wanna see how many computers i can hook up to it.

I see.

Im running server 2003 for learning purposes, and i wanna see how many computers i can hook up to it.
Question is, how many do ya wanna connect to it? If your just wanting to learn your way around server then you could always set a virtual network up.

I think what you have is an Ethernet Broadband Router. Meaning, no wireless features/options. I would look into buying a router that does wired and wireless networking a Linksys router from walmart could do this. lol
I do have a wireless router. You were telling me to get rid of ICS, but I cant because of the distance between my router and server.

Raffaz said:
Question is, how many do ya wanna connect to it? If your just wanting to learn your way around server then you could always set a virtual network up.
Well i only have 2 extra computers, so maybe up to 3(if a friend wants to come over) computers connected. Whats a virtual network? Never heard of it:confused:

Well i only have 2 extra computers, so maybe up to 3(if a friend wants to come over) computers connected. Whats a virtual network? Never heard of it:confused:
You can setup a virtual network with visualisation software such as VirtualPC (available from MS for free) or VMWare (i personally prefer this as it allows other OSes and not just MS) These are ideal if all your wanting to do is learn the OS, they basically run an OS inside your normal OS, the benefit being that if you screw something up, your real OS will still be working fine.:)

Back
Top Bottom